Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Holiday theme play

Posted 05-02-2019 08:51

Greetings.

Our "fall play" has been scheduled for the 1st week-end in December 2019. This has happened a few times in past years; and our students, staff and community have enjoyed plays with a Holiday theme. We have previously produced It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, Dicken's A Christmas Carol and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. Since our school district is so close to Cleveland, we probably can't consider A Christmas Story; because typically, several theaters have already secured royalties for it. We aren't opposed to a musical, IF royalties include a soundtrack. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Thank you,

Patricia Frank

Manager Dr. Daniel B. Ross Performing Arts Center

ALHS Drama Director

440-933-6290 x1455

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE The information contained herein, including any attachments, is proprietary and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. It also may contain privileged information and/or personal information subject to privacy legislation. The authorized addressee of this information, by its retention and use, agrees to protect the information contained herein from loss, theft, or compromise with at least the same care it employs to protect its own confidential information. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.

• 2.  RE: Holiday theme play

Posted 05-02-2019 14:18
    It's not exactly Christmas themed per say, but a lot of The Man Who Came to Dinner takes place around Christmas, and is a fun one!

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Holiday theme play

Posted 05-03-2019 14:56
    I've known companies that produce Oliver Twist by Mickey Coburn at the holidays--not sure what the connection is. I would ditto the suggestion of The Man Who Came for Dinner as a really fun show. If you also Google The Chimes adapted from Dickens, you will probably find a couple of dramatic versions of that Christmas tale available.

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 4.  RE: Holiday theme play

Posted 05-03-2019 16:56
    1940's Radio Hour.  It's a musical premised around a radio show on Christmas eve where one of the "regulars" is about to ship out.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: Holiday theme play

Posted 05-03-2019 18:14
    There is a wonderful, very funny play called "Inspecting Carol" based on a bad community theatre production of A Christmas Carol. Kind of a 'play the goes wrong' type of thing.

I would check it out. I did it with a community theatre in the summer, but it would really be fun to see it done in season.

Jill Campbell
    Gifted Support/Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801
    jkc11@scasd.org
    (814) 231-4114

• 6.  RE: Holiday theme play

Posted 05-03-2019 19:36
    We enjoyed Every Christmas Story Ever Told from Playscripts. It’s like Complete Works of Shakespeare abridged, but with Christmas stories. Zany, silly, with a flexible cast.