Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Black Box Photos

Posted 09-22-2018 15:52
    Hi All!

My school has no performance space. A consulting team has visited our school and provided a quote to convert a large classroom to a black box. We are trying to raise the funds to make this happen and I am putting together a presentation for prospective donors to help them visualize what our goals are.

If you have performances in a black box and wouldn’t mind sharing some production photos, I would really appreciate it. A picture is worth a thousand words and we really need these folks to see what can really be done in that type of space!

I created a shared google folder where you can drop photos.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N-p0N0vKDo8LOXP_8O-CXofn-2njT5M6

Thanks so much!!

---------------------------------
    Greg Franklin

Denver NC

• 2.  RE: Black Box Photos

Posted 09-23-2018 10:01
    This community in Cleburne, TX does all their shows in a black box and they are all amazing! I hadto ssee it to believe it! We're t Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, The Music Man. I've attached the link for pics.
    plaza-theatre.com

------------------------------
    Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 3.  RE: Black Box Photos

Posted 09-23-2018 10:13
    Thank you so much!

Greg Franklin

Denver NC

• 4.  RE: Black Box Photos

Posted 09-25-2018 11:44
    Ours is a modest 1500 sq ft combination dance studio black box theatre but as you'll see from the images we've been able to do some pretty magical things in there. The big difference for us was the addition of a 700 sq ft mezzanine overlooking the <g class="gr_ gr_244 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="244" data-gr-id="244">theater</g>. It contains a green room, technical booth and storage. Here's a link to a <g class="gr_ gr_421 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="421" data-gr-id="421">360 degree</g> image.

Tim Barden
    Managing Director
    Vermont Musical Theatre Academy
    South Burlington VT

• 5.  RE: Black Box Photos

Posted 12-11-2020 15:00

Hi, Greg!

My school is looking for a quote on a similar project (converting a classroom or unused space into a Black Box). I know your post was from a couple of years ago, but I just came across it when doing a search! Do you remember the amount of the quote the consulting team gave you? Did you use a local team? If your school ultimately built the space, do you know how much it cost? Any information you would be willing to share would be so helpful!

Thank you so much!

Tasha

Tasha Partee
    Upper School Theatre Teacher
    Lawrence Woodmere Academy
    New York NY