Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hurricane Michael

Posted 10-15-2018 07:30
    First of all, forgive me for any typos or errors in this post as I am typing this on a phone at 5:30 in the morning on a borrowed phone. I haven't seen anything posted about this and feel compelled to do so.
    Sevondly, I am one of the many in Bay County who stayed and survived Hurricane Michael's devastation in Panama City, Florida.  I know this forum has been supportive of programs in the past who have gone through similar tragedies, so I wanted to let you know about two needs: One for the community at large and the other for the theater community. Our town looks like a war zone and many of us are without power and water. Most businesses and homes lost roofs, have roof damage, or were even leveled. Power lines and trees block roads and crews are doing their best to restore travel, power, and water. The country has come to our aid with hundreds of first responders, electric companies, and food and water. At this point, just getting the word out about our tragedy will help keep us in the forefront of the country's collective consciousness.
    The theater community in the schools will be on hold for quite a while since we were told that schools will be out "indefinitely". My school was set to open The Miracle Worker last weekend with a rotating set and amazing cast, but we are not sure when or if it will happen. Many of my colleagues are in the same situation, although most of our school facilities survived better than expected. A huge exception to this is a former school where I taught that lost its small rehearsal and performance space entirely. I don't know where they will hold class when school behins again.
    Local venues were not as fortunate as some of our schools as many took major hits. The historic Marina Civic Center, Martin Theatre, Kaleidoscope Theatre, as well as area churches, which we have had to use as venues before, were almost gutted and need major rebuilding. Many of them have seasons which are now in question.
    Here's where I think you can help them. Most of you know that there are costs associated with a show beyond royalties and fees from publishers. In my case, we spent a lot on set and props, much of which we won't make back if the show doesn't go on or has limited audiences due to the recovery alone we are going through. It may seem silly to even think of continuing to mount a show, given the circumstances, but many of you also know the healing power that theater can have in situations such as these. Any help you can give to local theaters or school theater programs would be greatly appreciated. I am not in a great position myself to coordinate anything right now as my wife and I are living in one room of our home with no power or water until our roof can be repaired and helping her elderly parents with their repairs and needs as well, but I will do what I can to answr questions as I can with our spotty reception (curse you. Verizon!). This town needs to feel the love of the nation and this forum has the biggest hearts I know.

Thanks,

Bruce Taws
    Mosley High School Drama Sponsor

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 2.  RE: Hurricane Michael

Posted 10-16-2018 09:33
    Let's Go Troupe Directors! Here I am stressing that my kids will learn their lines by opening night, upset by a few missed practices due to the storm. It is pretty humbling to consider a theater's need, hoping to rebuild its space and surrounding community before opening night. 

"In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity." 
    2 Corinthians 8:2 

Here a director is trying to rebuild his own home, yet in his own poverty asks for help, hoping for the best for his students. My heart goes out to you Bruce Taws, your surrounding community, Mexico Beach, and the other affected areas so close to our home in south Georgia. May God bless you in this time of need. 

Troupe 8218 reaches out to A. Crawford Mosely High School and its theatre community. We will dedicate our opening night of "The 39 Steps: A Live Radio Play" on Oct. 19th to the Panama City school. All funds raised this night will support the "Tragedy Off Stage" fund.  

Please help by joining in on the effort to support Bruce Taws, the students at A. Crawford Mosely High School, and their surrounding theatre community. 

Click here to support Tragedy Off Stage organized by Analiese Hamm
    gofundme.com remove preview
    Click here to support Tragedy Off Stage organized by Analiese Hamm
    As a high school theatre director in sight of an opening night, I often ask myself, "Why?" Why do we as educators invest countless hours collecting and altering costumes, building sets, cleaning up after students, holding together our scarcely-funded programs with thrift store finds, and trying t...
    View this on gofundme.com >

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 3.  RE: Hurricane Michael

Posted 10-19-2018 09:58
    Good morning,

We are constantly humbled by the support of #ThespiansHelpingThespians in the aftermath of disasters. We encourage those who are in need of support and those wanting to give support to please fill out the Disaster Relief Matchmaking form on our website.

More information can be accessed through the following news story:

https://www.schooltheatre.org/blogs/edta-news/2018/10/17/hurricanes-florence-and-michael-relief

Thank you for your support.

Hans

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Relationship Officer
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Hurricane Michael

Posted 10-20-2018 14:27
    Bruce, it has been heartbreaking to see all of the hurricane damage this season.  

Our troupe just sent a box of supplies and gift cards to the school of one of our ITS troupes in Eastern North Carolina, so my kids are tapped out at the moment.

BUT we open Our Town on November 1, and we have some audience members who can afford to be generous.  Keep letting us know your specific needs, and we'll send you part of the donations we were already planning to collect for hurricane victims.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC