Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Curriculum Support Vignette Show

Posted 03-26-2018 20:30
    Hello!

I am looking for a play to perform with my high school theatre classes as a culminating project. I’d like to do a show made up of several vignettes. Something that supports our school’s curriculum would be best. In the past we have done, among others, Lindsey Price’s Shuddersome Tales of Poe, as well as adaptations of Spoon River Anthology, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and A Christmas Carol. We would like to avoid Shakespeare, since we already do one Shakespeare show every year with our after school program. A collection of short but related plays or a play made up of vignettes would be best. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams

Adel GA
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Curriculum Support Vignette Show

Posted 03-28-2018 01:05
    Judevine by David Budbill is a lovely piece although some of the language/subject matter is tricky - it's a series of stories set in a small town and has some wonderful pieces within it

The Dining Room (AR Gurney) of course

Colored Museum (george c wolfe) is always a possibility

The Serpent if you are looking for a crazy challenge

All in the Timing (Ives) and Check Please (Rand) for silliness

You could tackle Moliere's shorter works (Project Guttenberg) or do The Bores which is literally just a series of scenes with one character encountering a different one(s) each scene.

Almost Maine of course is lovely

Thurber's Carnival I haven't read in years.....

and I know there are a lot of vignette plays out there or collections of short works (ie John Guare has a series of one-acts that are weird but fabulous) it just takes time looking through the publishing companies websites ;)

Best wishes!

------------------------------
    Brandon Becker
    Denver CO
    ------------------------------