Open Forum

View Only

Concord Licensing Nightmares

• 1.  Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-28-2020 15:03
    Has anybody had any success getting Concord to respond to a problem?  Is there a strategy here?  

I went through the entire contract process for R&H Cinderella and we were supposed to receive our materials weeks ago.  Apparently, in the conversion from R&H to Concord they have lost our check and our contract.  I have talked to representatives and they promise to fix it when I email them the evidence.  But then, emails won't go through to their address.  When I send things to other representatives that I can't conact via phone, they just send me an automated response saying that they will bump me back in the line if I try to contact them again.  

Anybody got any ideas.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kevin McClellan
    Salt Lake City, UT

• 2.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-28-2020 18:09
    I sent an email for info on 1/9/2020 and received an email back on 1/24/2020 asking if my issues were resolved. I honestly have not had a chance to get back on the site to see if my materials were there. (We're doing R&H's Cinderella as well this spring). I went through R&H last spring for the rights but, since there was only 24 hours to download the materials, and I didn't get the email before the site closed, I didn't get them. I'm not sure if they've been added to my account yet. I do vaguely remember one or their reps responding to a thread (I think). You might try looking for that to get some help. Good luck!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-28-2020 19:03
    I'm sorry to hear this. I understand from our licensing team that your problem has been resolved. Glad we could work it out.

Thank you for being our customer - there are a lot of moving parts involved with the launch of our new systems and website, and we very much appreciate our customers' patience during this time. We know the final outcome will benefit everyone as we help you all make theatre happen. 

Thanks and break a leg with your production!

Jim Colleran
    Concord Theatricals
    New York, NY
    www.concordtheatricals.com

• 4.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-29-2020 09:33
    Our school was planning on producing South Pacific but we had to abandon that because we couldn't get any response from R&H in a reasonable amount of time. Repeated emails were unanswered and there was another discussion thread that documented many others going through the same issues. Perhaps in the future we may try the catalog again.

Roger Winn
    Theatre Director
    Golden CO

• 5.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-30-2020 13:00
    I've never had such a maddening experience in my life. We too are waiting for our Cinderella scripts and music (paid for many months ago) and we are still waiting. When I finally do contact a representative, they tell me they will follow up but then they go dark. This is so puzzling. I've always had such a wonderful experience working with R and H. We all know the pressures middle and high school drama teachers/directors face – with full time teaching loads and directing. Dealing with unresponsive entities (which are crucial for the success of a show – (scripts please!)) is unacceptable. And it's impacting my beauty sleep!

Holly Whiting
    Drama Director
    Sammamish WA

• 6.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-30-2020 13:08
    I had a chance (actually I made the time) to look and I still don't have any of the materials that are supposed to be available online for my production. All my rental materials that are physical arrived but I have nothing else from them. I sent another email this morning and will see what happens. I've noticed that it seems to be the R&H materials and contracts that are running into problems. Has anyone from any of the other companies that were absorbed run into the same problems? Or is it only the R&H things?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 02-02-2020 19:11
    I had a similar experience getting perusal scripts of Funny Girl.  Once I sent a scathing email, I got an immediate response and they overnighted the scripts for free. It took months to get to that point though. The rep I spoke with said they were struggling with the merger. I guess it hasn't gotten any better since October.  Too bad, they have some great shows.

Amanda Dierking
    Middle Grade Theatre Director
    Minneola Charter School
    Under Florida's "Public Records" law, absent a specific exclusion, written communications to or from Lake School District employees are considered public records. E-mail communication with this correspondent may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request.

• 8.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 01-31-2020 09:31
    YES!  I've been dealing with them since May, and then in September, and finally around MLK Day.  I posted on a Facebook group for high school theater directors, and the K-12 rep from Concord was tagged and subsequently reached out to me.  She told me to email her with school name, ACCOUNT NUMBER, license number if known, which I did, and I received a response within 24 hours, and our books were shipped immediately.  They actually arrived earlier than expected!  The rep's name is Rosemary Bucher, and the email she initially gave is k12@concordtheatricals.com. Feel free to message me privately if you have any questions or need further advice.  Best wishes!

Katherine Lowther
    Fine Arts Department Chair
    Winchester KY

• 9.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 02-03-2020 15:44
    Yes!   It's not been an easy process for sure.   They said they never received a $5000+ check from us (seems like a common theme) at the end of November which was mailed mid November.   We had to pay the $400 deposit if we wanted to keep the contract and proceed.   We did that via their online credit card form.   They sent us one script and one score to prep for auditions.   They cashed our check on December 10 but no one will answer emails now and we have not received any more materials.   They direct you to their website but it only has previous Samuel French invoices/licenses from shows we have done and it says the R & H new website is "coming soon".   I can't even access the digital material they posted for us.   If there is a way - it's not a very user friendly website as I can't find where to look anymore.    Have no idea when the materials are arriving.  Show is contracted to be performed in April.   This process has been going on since July.

Pam Hurt
    Prestonwood Christian Academy
    Plano, TX

• 10.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 02-05-2020 07:42

Here is the woman who eventually helped me get what I needed.  Maybe you will have luck as well.

Amanda Dierking

Under Florida's "Public Records" law, absent a specific exclusion, written communications to or from Lake School District employees are considered public records. E-mail communication with this correspondent may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request.

• 11.  RE: Concord Licensing Nightmares

Posted 02-06-2020 12:22
    Same boat. Over a month of nothing. No response to a phone call. Auto Response from both the original contact, and from Rosemary. If I don't hear by Wednesday, I have to pull the plug on Grease. The kids will be crushed, but we have to get started on our show.

In contrast, I picked a back up show from MTI and applied for the rights. Had a contract 45 minutes later. MTI answers the phone. They respond to emails. And it takes no time to get a contract.

I have no reason to think our application for Grease will be denied...nobody else is doing it in my region. But I can't wait indefinitely with zero communication from Concord. I can't imagine ever attempting to do business with them again.

Jeff Johnson
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Del Oro High School
    Loomis CA