Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Resume: To list or not to list

Posted 05-17-2020 11:47
    I had a student ask me about listing a production on her resume that never performed due to Covid-19. She was in the final weeks of rehearsal for the show but it was cancelled. She wants to list the show, company, and role, but she doesn't know if it is allowed.  What is the etiquette for this situation?

------------------------------
    Amanda Betz
    English/Theatre Instructor
    Zane Trace Local Schools
    Chillicothe, OH

• 2.  RE: Resume: To list or not to list

Posted 05-18-2020 09:18
    Wow, what a great question. I would say no, only because the show was never produced for a live audience. But I would defer to what others think. ​

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Resume: To list or not to list

Posted 05-19-2020 08:08
    I don't see why the student couldn't list it, with a "final performance cancelled due to shutdown" - or something like that. Educationally, it's the rehearsal time that matters most - what the student has learned and accomplished, setting him or her up for the next project. I bet all sorts of professionals are listing projects on their resumes that were cancelled due to the virus. 

• 4.  RE: Resume: To list or not to list

Posted 05-18-2020 09:51
    Ordinarily, I would say not to list it because she never performed; however, on second thought . . . . List it with an additional note that performances were cancelled due to Covid 19? She's hardly going to be the only one in this situation and I think she, and others, deserve credit for the work put in during the rehearsal process.

Just my two cents.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 5.  RE: Resume: To list or not to list

Posted 05-19-2020 08:54
    It depends on what the resume is to be used for. If it is for educational purposed (school/camp applications, other school productions) I think it is fine with a note about the cancellation as others have suggested. If it is for outside auditions (professional, community theater) I'd be cautious, but if the role shows a very different perspective or a great deal of growth then other items on their resume (i.e. they have only ever been ensemble in large scale musicals, and this was a significant supporting or lead role) then it may be worth the slight stigma that could go along with listing it. Ultimately, I think directors will give weight to the shows that are performed, but if the listing offers the director a different lense to view the actor then the benefit may outweigh the risk.

Erin Coulter
    Theater Director
    The Hill School
    The Plains VA