Open Forum

View Only

Creating a Theater curriculum

• 1.  Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-12-2019 14:29
    Hi,
    I am creating a theater curriculum for freshmen that will be mandatory. This is a regular high school and most students are not theater oriented so I want to make it fun and easy. My goals are to work on on communication, collaboration and emotional expression. What are some websites/books/resources that could inspire me/help me create my curriculum or perhaps there are some already existing ones out there?
    much appreciated!
    Sally

------------------------------
    Sally Shatzkes
    Drama Therapist/Theater Director
    Brooklyn NY

• 2.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-12-2019 16:03
    There have been posts here recently to the effect that some students have a hard time, or are just not interested in, being on stage or performing. And the general consensus was that there's no point in forcing them if it doesn't float their boat: just have them work in other areas, such as design, tech, publicity, or something else.

Since you say this is a mandatory class, I might suggest giving them an overall view (an orientation) of what theatre is and the various areas involved, including acting, directing, producing, design, and tech. Since you also say most students are not theatre oriented, this approach might be more interesting for them and give some of them an idea of what else they can do in the field instead of being turned off by having to do something, for a semester, that they are not interested in. 

Case in point: me. I attended a professional training program in college, where theatre majors were required to take classes in all areas of the field, regardless of what their career interests were. So, as a set design major, I had to take classes in acting, directing, mime, theatre history, theatre management, stage management, "Comedy in Contemporary Theatre," and other subjects in addition to the design, drawing, art history, structures, and other classes related to set and lighting design. I, and my design friends, endured these classes (especially acting, directing, and mime) and got through them because it was required, but I can tell you that sometimes we felt like we would rather be getting a root canal.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-13-2019 08:36
    Theatre Games for Young Performers by Maria Novelly is perfect for what you are trying to do. All the activities are about creativity and collaboration, but it also gives you a structure. I have used it since I began teaching. (True story: When I got my first drama teacher job, I went to the bookstore to look at the paltry theatre education section. I saw this book and recognized it because my first drama teacher-who I adored-had it on his shelf. The circle of life!) It has served me very well.
    Have Fun!

Jennifer Bennett
    Lake Mary FL

• 4.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-13-2019 08:43
    I will pick up a copy! Thanks!

Sally Shatzkes
    Brooklyn NY

• 5.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-13-2019 10:09
    I strongly recommend this web site, which contains a wide variety of strategies that work well for beginning performers and also will allow you to pull in ties to other curricula. Welcome to Drama-Based Instruction! | Drama-Based Instruction
    Utexas remove preview
    Welcome to Drama-Based Instruction! | Drama-Based Instruction
    As an initiative of the Department of Theatre and Dance at the University of Texas in Austin, Drama for Schools is part of a long and distinguished history of the University's commitment to public schools.
    View this on Utexas >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-13-2019 11:02
    I suggest you take a look at Drama Teacher Academy through Theater Folk which has full curriculum for a Drama 1 course, as well as courses and lesson plans. The Emphathetic classroom is also great. 

--

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 7.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-13-2019 11:54
    I built my Theatre I: Introduction to Theatre course based on the college theatre survey course I have taught in the past.  The structure really works for my most and least enthusiastic students grades 8-12. Below is my progression of units for a year-long course:

I.  Ensemble Building/ Getting to each other.

II.  Production Analysis- learning to observe theatre in performance, identify structural elements, and write an analysis, using Aristotle's poetics.  Culminates in an analysis of "Shrek: the Musical"  that everyone watches on Netflix and discusses extensively in class.

III. The Actor- Stanislavski basics, culminating in a presentation of contentless scenes

IV. The Designer- an overview of design fundamentals culminating in a costume or scenic design project with renderings 

V. The Playwright-  playwriting fundamentals, lots of writing prompts in class as well as reading excerpts from plays, culminating in students completing the first draft of a short play

VI.  The Director- an overview of the practical and creative aspects of a director's job.  I focus a lot on the collaborative aspect of directing and on students learning how to productively express the ideas in their heads to their performers through Viewpoints and other devised theater exercises.  Culminates in a music video project.

I usually end the year with a World Theatre unit where the students explore different non-Western genres of theatre and create a presentation with a partner to teach the class about that genre. 

Between Directing and World Theatre we do one or sometimes two of the following units, based on the interests of the students:

-Shakespeare

- Oral Interpretation: Contemporary Poetry and Famous Speeches

- Public Speaking

- Filmmaking

- Staged Readings of students' plays

I don't yet have a cohesive document with my whole progression, but that is just the basic structure and I am happy to discuss it in more detail if it looks helpful.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 8.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-14-2019 08:47
    Sally, 
    All of the ideas put forth here are worth your attention; what I would suggest is that any currculum you design for your students be aligned the the New York State Theatre Standards, expecially given that it will be a mandatory class. I understand that you want to make it an enjoyable experience, buit please  also consider how you will measure student learning. The National Core Theatre Standards, similar to the NY State Standards can provide you guidance on how to create proficient-level assessment that begins wiith your noted goals. Here's the link: https://www.nationalartsstandards.org

Good luck to you!

James Palmarini
    Director of Educational Policy; Editor-at-Large - Teaching Theatre
    Cincinnati OH

• 9.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-14-2019 09:23
    This is all fantastic insight. Thank you to everyone!

It is worth noting that the goal of this class is not to teach theater as a discipline, but rather to teach "soft skills" through the lens of theater. I am sorry that I didn't make that clear early on. I was inspired greatly by Patti Raun's keynote at the 2017 EdTA conference to advocate for teaching these critical life skills through theater at our school. We are finding (as many schools are) that our students are unprepared for the "real world" despite having many skills sets. They are simply lacking in the ability to connect, communicate, collaborate etc. And this is a trend we are seeing across the board as our youth in the age of technology and social media has moved away from creative play and interpersonal experiences. My suggestion to the school is a mandatory theater-based/informed class that will focus on these skills. It will be mandatory because all students need to develop these skills. So while it will all be based in theater, we will focus less on skills of acting and play texts, and more on "life skills" through theater-based activities. And we will not call it "Freshmen Drama" but rather, something like "Freshmen Communications Lab," as Patti Raun's center is called" The Center for Communicating Science." 
    It should also be noted that Im a licensed drama therapist so I am used to combining theater and counseling in all kinds of formats. :)

In light of this, feel free everyone to keep the suggestions coming!

Sally Shatzkes
    Brooklyn NY

• 10.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-14-2019 12:05
    Okay, that sounds more like a class we were required to take freshman year in college, titled "Interpersonal Communication."

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 11.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-14-2019 16:57
    Sally, I worked in the UK for many years teaching, and I used Frantic Assembly and physical theatre as a way in with kids who might otherwise avoid performance at the beginning of a semester. It's a great way to break down barriers and create interesting, artistic work that can be built on with more traditional approaches to text, etc, later on. 
    Check out their chair duets! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-9LERsyY8

I use chair duets to teach abstract and physical theatre, and build up to adding text or context. 
    I'm happy to share some other physical theatre SOWs if you'd like.

Nicole Tremblay
    Director of Theater
    Indianapolis IN

• 12.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-15-2019 09:00
    @Nicole Tremblay I would really love to see your unit and lesson plans around this. My students LOVE Frantic Assembly, and we just finished our chair duets sequence. Would you mind sharing how you structure this unit/lesson plans? I'd love to pick up any tips, tricks, or activities from you!

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 13.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-14-2019 17:02
    This is probably a better example of Chair Duets, from their website- you can even submit your class work! 
    https://chairduets.franticassembly.co.uk/

Nicole Tremblay
    Director of Theater
    Indianapolis IN

• 14.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-15-2019 11:17
    Devised theatre work covers all of the "4 Cs of 21st Century Learning" (I think there was a poster to this effect, but I can't find the link):  communication, creativity, critical thinking and collaboration.  And can also cover the "E" that so often gets left out, but shouldn't: empathy.

You can essentially follow the same sort of process that STEM/STEAM work follows.  Start with a question or problem or need: "We need to create a show that ..." - I find it helps to have a specific audience and topic in mind.  (Some groups start their devising work as entirely open ended, but for a beginning or mixed group, a topic can help.)

Then Creativity - brainstorm (we do it practically, using a bunch of different drama structures).  Create lots of material, don't censor at this stage.

Critical thinking - what did the work show? What sparks interest? What ideas/character/messages/meanings are emerging? What do we want to find out?  

More exploratory work. More critical thinking. 

Then back to combining critical thinking with communication:  what do we have?  What do we want to communicate?  How do we select and shape all this material and these ideas into a play? Collaboration - working together to make these decisions, responding to and building on the ideas of others, compromising, consensus building, supporting ... 

Then the rehearsal phase - communication including the acting side - how do I communicate what we want to communicate with my body, face, voice, movement?  Directing side - With our group, staging, movement?  Design side - With sound, lighting, costume, sets?  Playwriting side - Through the dialogue, word choice, etc.?

More critical thinking:  what's working?  What is not working?  How can we change it to make it more effectively communicate what we want to communicate?  Staying open and flexible:  is anything new and exciting emerging?

And performance!  And ideally debriefing with some sense of the audience response.

Okay, so this is really long for the Friday right before break, and very un-edited ... but you get the idea!

As a final note, I do devised work with middle school groups.  It is not as fast as doing devised work with skilled adults, or skilled high schoolers.  But if middle schoolers can do it, then a high school group with mixed experience (and interest) can.  There are lots of opportunities to teach skills along the way, and opportunities for cross-curricular work, and opportunities for building empathy.

My favorite projects have been those created for elementary classes (built around their social/emotional curriculum) and school assemblies - Veteran's Day, No Name Calling Week, and on the lighter side, "Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day"!  The students are more invested when they feel there is a purpose to their work.

TGIF.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 15.  RE: Creating a Theater curriculum

Posted 02-15-2019 17:05
    Kristin this is incredible thank you!!

Sally Shatzkes