Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Double casting

Posted 08-26-2017 07:54
    Hello all! I am considering double casting my production of Little Women (straight show) this fall, as I had such an amazingly talented group of young ladies come to auditions. I am able to cast an understudy for each female role, again, due to so much talent, that I would love the understudies to have an actual performance of their own. This means I would need to add a third production, and I'm happy to do it (I think...haha). My question is this: to those of you who have done something like this, how do I run rehearsals? I'm stuck with two days/week for rehearsals only (2-3 hour blocks), so be kind in your answers. I've made the two days work with casts up to 25 kids, so I can do it, I've just never considered double casting before. Maybe someone can help me sort out my crazy?

• 2.  RE: Double casting
    Best Answer

Posted 08-26-2017 10:16
    When we have a large group of understudies, we run simultaneous rehearsals.  I rehearse one group while one of my trusted (usually upper class, with directing experience) assistant directors runs the other.  Partway through the rehearsal time we switch, so that I'm now with the other group and get to see both.  It works fairly well, but it does require that you have a student director that your students respect, who can manage rehearsal and whom you trust to give strong notes to help improve the scene.

------------------------------
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Double casting

Posted 08-27-2017 11:31
    I have only double and sometimes triple cast my productions and have been doing this for 20 years.  I do not use understudies - if they are good enough to understudy the part they are good enough to share the part.  Understudy system sets up another clique level and in high school that is the last thing we need is another clique.  Like in many acting classes - much of the learning comes from watching.  This works the same when double casting.  First I never call it an A cast and  B cast - it is important that there is not top cast.  I call them opening and closing cast.  I rotate days.   I cast the senior members of the program in the closing cast and then cast around them.  Getting the best fit - this means sometimes the best are spread between two casts.  I rotate rehearsal days.  Open works with me first while closing watches and takes notes.  At the end of the rehearsal that day the closing will run what we have worked on and I give notes and work with them but not as in depth as I did the opening cast.  The next rehearsal I work with the closing cast and the opening watches - again switching near the end of the rehearsal.  It definitely takes more time to work on a show.  We are fortunate enough to be able to costume both actors.  We sometimes share over coats or men's jackets - or specialty items - but we never share shirts.  I tell the doubles to work together to support each other not compete - they have all made the show they have equal amount of stage time - there is no one better than the other person - so work together to create and grow the character.  I also allow them to make different choices.  We keep the blocking the same so if someone has to fill in for the other cast they can - but their individual character choices I allow - obviously within the direction of the show.  I wouldn't do this any other way - there are no ego super stars in the program because they know that they are not alone.  Also - no diva attitude about coming to rehearsal - they all know they can be replaced.  So the work ethic has increased.  Over all it creates a great bonding experience - when the one cast sits out they sit together they support each other and then when the two cast switch there is collaboration between the two actors.  Feel free to email me - this is a subject I know well.

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 4.  RE: Double casting

Posted 08-28-2017 22:10
    Thank you all! I have similar feelings as most of you regarding this decision, and I appreciate your feedback. I am going to incorporate a litttle bit of everyone's ideas into my rehearsals. I do have a student director who will be running one cast while I run the other, and I like the portion of Flex casting that does the time intervals, mixing up the cast while remaining in character. My SD is new to this, so the first couple of practices are going to be a little rough, I'm sure, but I think we'll find our groove. It really does all come together (granted, it's the week before opening, but it does).

Jill Kara
    Drama Director, St. Catherine of Siena Academy
    Wixom, MI

• 5.  RE: Double casting

Posted 08-27-2017 13:08

Instead of Double Casting - Try "Flex Casting"

I have found that Double Casting usually leads to a lot of unhealthy competition within the company.  To combat the problem, I developed what I think is a new type of casting which I call FLEX Casting.  I first used it for a production of THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST then modified it a bit for a later production of NOISES OFF. This casting method works SO MUCH BETTER than two separate casts - which inevitably become at odds with each other.

Here are the basics:

FLEX Casting:

1) I cast two actors in every role

2) The Stage Manager creates a rehearsal schedule with a starting lineup that mixes the cast so that it is different every rehearsal day.

3) While I stage / work scenes, the other actors watch their partners.

4) Every 15 minutes, an Assistant Stage Manager rings a small desk bell (like on a hotel lobby desk) and the actors switch out – WHILE ACTING – this keeps all actors "in the moment"

5) Three weeks before performances begin, (just before ticket sales start), performance casts are posted – mixing the actors up as much as possible.

GOALS:

1) Give as many actors a chance as possible

2) Minimize if not obliterate actor / actor comparisons

3) Create a new energy for every performance

PROBLEMS

1) Sometimes costumes can be shared - but often they can't due to size differences

2) Unless you have as many performances as you do characters, you can't have a totally different cast for each performance.

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell CA

• 6.  RE: Double casting

Posted 08-27-2017 17:22
    My son's drama class did double casting. While one group was on stage, the other group was practicing lines outside. Closer to the performance date, it was one group on stage for a scene, then sit as the other group got on. Hopefully you have a dedicated and well-behaved group of kids to make it work. It will be crazy for a while, but somehow it always works out in the end.  Just when you wonder how the kids will pull it off, they find a way and it's a win-win for everyone! Good luck!

Robert Hansen
    Monrovia CA

• 7.  RE: Double casting

Posted 08-27-2017 18:31
    I like double casting when you have great talent. It gives more actors/actresses a chance to shine and also helps with ticket sales and the deadly middle show slump (when I use the alternate cast members). When I double cast, I make it known to the actors involved that this means they will have 1/2 of the rehearsal time to learn the same thing. The reason I picked them is that I truly believed that he/she can do it and do it well in that amount of time. So, when not on stage he/she must watch and learn and take notes because I will not be able to review it. This usually works. I also have them switch at appropriate spots like after scene 1 or 1/2 way through the rehearsal time. They then keep track of what scenes they haven't done on stage and alternate the next time we cover that scene. It also helps because you have a built in backup if someone is out sick or has to make up a test, etc. 

I wouldn't double cast the whole thing unless you are absolutely confident about the match-ups. That is a lot of double casting to keep track of. I usually just double cast the leads. 

I wish you the best.

Kathy Cox
    Silver Spring MD