Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cutting Joseph??

Posted 10-21-2019 11:50
    So, this is an inquiry for the far future... Has anyone completed a successful cutting of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat? I absolutely adore the show, and have a cast that could pull it off in the near future, but I would have to cut it down for competition purposes. Just wondering...

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 2.  RE: Cutting Joseph??

Posted 10-22-2019 10:08
    Let me preface this by saying that any cuts would need to be approved by the publisher but if you reached out to them they might have something like that available. I would start there and see if they even allow that.

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 3.  RE: Cutting Joseph??

Posted 10-22-2019 11:30
    Definitely check with the publisher before you announce anything!  Do tell them about the competition restriction, and if you can offer an uncut selection instead of chopping it up, that may help.  Also, I'd suggest a phone call instead of just written request. The personal touch may make a difference...or not.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 4.  RE: Cutting Joseph??

Posted 10-22-2019 11:36
    Oh yes, definitely.  I hate having to cut in the first place, but when we must, publisher and permission always comes first. I was just wondering if anyone has used this as a shortened competition piece recently and their experience with it.  It seems to be a very difficult one to shorten, with the sung dialogue and music constant throughout.

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 5.  RE: Cutting Joseph??

Posted 10-22-2019 12:37
    One of the earliest versions was only 20 minutes long and an early recording came in around 30.  That's to say that I'm sure it's possible.  (permission pending of course)  It would be interesting to see that original version to see how the piece grew over the years.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO