Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-30-2018 17:43
    Looking for a good cutting of Romeo and Juliet or a modern version of Romeo and Juliet that is not West Side Story.  I've never done Shakespeare and not sure my audience will come -so I'm looking for something that has worked well at your school or theatre community. 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 2.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-31-2018 10:15
    I would advise, cutting the script yourself with the help of your cast.  It can be a fantastic experience and really allows the cast to delve into the language and parcel out the sort of production you all want collectively.  It can be daunting at first, but there a lot of resources out there from free online scripts to samples of different productions.  I also think it worthwhile to do a lot or research when working with Shakespeare... see what others have done and then go out on your own.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 04-01-2018 09:43
    I love Romeo and Juliet. I have produced it once, and taught it in English class for years. It was the first Shakespeare play I ever directed, as well.
    It is not important to have every word, or scene, of the play performed in order to do a wonderful production. One of the places I went for help in cutting was Franco Zeffirelli's 1968 film. It is a timeless classic, and easy to follow and understand. The one and only problem is it completely cut out Romeo meeting and killing Paris in the graveyard, which I felt was important enough to leave in.  Other than that, the cuts are good.

I also purchased scripts that had a translation on one side. I did not always agree with the translation, but it gave the students a good handle on what they were saying, and made them more comfortable with the language. It gave us a starting place to discuss what was going on in each scene.

Good luck and don't let the language scare you.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 4.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 04-03-2018 21:04
    I developed my own version The Ninety Nine Minute Romeo and Juliet a few years back for our fall play. The text was Shakespeare with very few changes but liberal editing. It took much of the summer to complete.
    The action was set in the 1920's with two feuding mob families in Chicago: the Italian Capulets and the Irish Montagues. Only the adult characters spoke with accents and carried Tommy guns. The youth fought with chains, hammers, wrenches, bottles etc. This allowed choreographed fighting without swords.
    I had two complete casts and it was well received. I created a study guide as well. Let me know if you are interested and I can resurrect the script.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 5.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 04-04-2018 08:30
    If you are unsure of how Shakespeare will go over with your community and if the kids haven't done it yet, might I suggest Complete Works?  It is fun for the kids and has a pretty great following even in the smaller theatre communities.  This lets you get a feeling for community and kids with their love and want of Shakespeare.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO