Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-10-2020 12:49

We just released our short play Then Internet is a Ditract.... Oh Look A Kitten', on Friday.
    Overall it was fine.  We would meet on Zoom a couple of times a week and rehearse or just discuss how we would make scenes work.  The author spent 30 minutes chatting with us on a zoom meeting, one day, so my kids really appreciated that!
    The kids each had to film their scenes alone and without knowing exactly what their scene partner was doing, so that was a challenge.   Editing it together was a lot of work but my teenage son did most of that for me.  I see a lot of things I would do differently or tell the kids to do differently.... if there were to be a next time.
    With all that being said, it was a learning experience and it was better than dropping the whole show and year without theater.  I'm happy my kids have this video to look back on. 
    I would love to hear how each of your projects are going as well.
    Here is a link to the show if you would like to check it out.  The author , Ian McWethy, said he was adjusting several of his shows to work better with this concept so I would work with him again for sure!
    (I did receive permission from both Playscripts and the author to record this and release it for full viewing including YouTube)

The Internet is a Distract-- OH Wait a Kitten!

YouTube remove preview
    The Internet is a Distract-- OH Wait a Kitten!
    Foothill Christian School's ONLINE Drama Department presents, "The Internet is a Distract-- OH Wait a Kitten!", a short comedy by Ian McWethy that explores t...
    View this on YouTube >

Joyfully,

------------------------------
    Jennifer Robinson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Glendora CA

• 2.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-11-2020 09:16
    Great work in keeping the kids engaged.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-11-2020 10:15
    This is wonderful! I really enjoyed watching it! This is a great example of a remote play that students can do via zoom which is both educational and fun.

Marina Volok
    New York City, New York NY

• 4.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-12-2020 13:29
    As we go forward, something like this may be in my future. What did your son use to edit this? Mac? PC? And what software?
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-12-2020 13:36
    He used Adobe Premier Pro, which can be used on any type of computer but we do pay for the subscription.

Jennifer Robinson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Glendora CA

• 6.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-12-2020 08:04
    Congrats!! to both you and your students.  Thanks for sharing.  What program did you/your son use for the editing?

Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown MD

• 7.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-13-2020 14:55
    Fun! I didn't mean to watch the whole thing right now (I was checking my emails) but I did...

Patty Profitt
    Napa CA

• 8.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-26-2020 16:16
    Jennifer, this was wonderful. I shared with my cast and am sharing now with a theatre colleague. Way to go!

Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT

• 9.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-26-2020 20:19
    I enjoyed your student work.  Thank you for sharing; things like this give us all ideas and help us collectively solve problems.  Thanks again

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 10.  RE: Online theater project recap.....

Posted 05-29-2020 16:52
    So cute, and so well done. I like how the play itself lent to these small scenes. I hope your students are proud, they should be!  You and your son did a nice job of editing, too.

We are done recording our "musical" so now the editing begins. I will let you know when it is going to be "viewed."

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    Amherst Junior High
    Amherst, Ohio