Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Requiem - Jerome McDonough

Posted 08-31-2017 11:05
    My granddaughter has been cast in Requiem by Jerome McDonough and my daughter is worried about the content/theme.  She is no prude and grew up in my theater program.  I haven't read it yet, but have it ordered and plan to.  I'm interested in what people think of the show.  Is it appropriate for high school students?  If so, why?  If not, why not?  Madelon Horvath

------------------------------
    Madelon Horvath
    retired
    Chardon OH

• 2.  RE: Requiem - Jerome McDonough

Posted 09-01-2017 11:10
    An intense tragedy.  I wouldn't say it was innapropriate or the material was not appropriate for students.  It is recommended for High Schools and College level performance groups.  Demanding for the cast in terms of truthfully emoting the devastating impact the "war machine" has had on this family.  The mother has had enough and no longer wants her children sacrificed to war.  What a fantastic acting opportunity for your grand daughter.  We director's sometimes struggle with wanting to choose a play with meat on its bones vs. the typical light hearted comedy.  This is one of those plays that makes the audience think and the actors grow exponentially.

Tallen Olsen
    Drama & Musical Director
    East Windsor Regional School District, Hightstown High School
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Requiem - Jerome McDonough

Posted 09-02-2017 13:13
    Dramatic Publishing really does themselves a disservice by not including an excerpt to read. The play sounds interesting, but I wouldn't order it without reading a bit.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Requiem - Jerome McDonough

Posted 09-05-2017 10:38
    I knew Mr. McDonough before he passed away several years ago. He came to my school. We did two social issues shows all very heavy subject matter Blues (homeless) and Addict (drug addiction). They played exceptionally well with my students and community. We did a talkback that followed each performance and this helped the audience understand why we chose to explore the material. I think that theater can be a very moving and powerful way to take on social issues 

I hope it all goes well.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN