Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shared Leadership

Posted 05-02-2018 14:30
    Anyone else been told that the director is not in charge? That all decisions must be made jointly with the other adults involved--even if those on the team are not qualified/experienced as directors? Not just collaborating and using input from all sides, but that every decision has to be agreed to by all?

------------------------------
    Maripat Wilkinson
    Glendale WI

• 2.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-03-2018 05:34
    If you're talking about the school's administration, then yes. All decisions about appropriate content of a script, schedules, budget, and use of theatre facilities must be jointly agreed upon. I'm always amazed when I hear tales of theatre teachers "standing up to" their administrators.  I always think, "Well, there go the collaborative skills theatre can teach!"

However, in the professional world, the director is the final word (unless there's  an understanding that the producer has veto power due to the budget).

Just as there are a dozen or more coaches on a football team, a show can have many department leaders. Ultimately, there must be one Head Coach calling the plays. We call that person the Director.

In the avocational world of school theatre, we often have to teach both our students and other adults about their roles and organizational structure. You must have a sit-down (or several) during pre-production to make sure that ALL expectations are clear.  

That being said, the entire process is a collaboration; division of labor is essential and the can be a reasonable level of autonomy among various adults overseeing the production.  Likewise, some aspects can be handled very democratically, such as: publicity/promotion, scheduling, casting (I always get input from my Music Director before casting the musicals), even voting on what show(s) to do.  But, ultimately, everyone - especially the kids - must know that one person has final say.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-03-2018 09:58

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.  One person, the director,  needs final say or you will have a big mess on your hands.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 4.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-03-2018 11:54
    That sounds like a recipe for mediocrity and non-cohesive productions. You are the director - and the expert - so  when it comes to the production itself, you should have the final say. Yes, a good director is open to all ideas, but I'm a firm believer that art cannot be created by a committee.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-04-2018 04:07
    Agreed that the Director is the lead decision maker, however, ALL members of the cast, crew, creative department, maintenance department, and administrative department must have VETO power should something be unsafe.  100% of the time the issue can be addressed and a safe way to build / perform a show can be determined.  Don't always rely on internal generated information.  Bring in an outside expert if necessary (e.g. professional riggers to fly performers).  Facts, rules, regulations, and the reality of physics must lead to a doable solution.  "I read somewhere that theatres are exempt form this rule" and other non-sense must not be used to 'justify' an unsafe condition or act.  Just because you 'wish' or 'believe' something was safe does not make it safe.  You must know it is safe, and be able to prove it objectively.  Example:  Maybe your specific venue is not technically governed by OSHA, but following OSHA regulations will still provide you the MINIMUM safe working conditions - you can always do more!

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 6.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-04-2018 07:05
    I would like to hear more about this situation before I answer. The best director does not need to be the boss but they do need to be the point guard. So decisions do not need to be agreed upon by everyone but I do think we want to have everyone invested in moving in the same direction.

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 7.  RE: Shared Leadership

Posted 05-06-2018 11:35
    A great discussion. I agree that the director has the final say regarding the production. They have the clear vision of the final product but they should also be working in close proximity with the producer as he is responsible for the budget and is able to keep the show on track.

Margaret Watt
    Victoria BC