Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play advice

Posted 05-29-2018 13:42
    I have spent time reading through the forum on play advice and help picking a production.  Thanks to all that had posted and replied to others in the discussion board about play choices.  So here is what I am looking for  - a play (non musical) with a great story. It can be either a comedy or drama. I don't want kids playing kids.  Looking to build a nice unit set and a cast size of 15-20.  Not really interested in a murder mystery but okay if story moves along.  Several years ago, I directed The Curious Savage - my patrons loved it.  So I am looking for something along those lines.  Run time of 90-120 minutes.  Either I can find a great play but cast size is under 10 and the larger cast plays seem to be lacking on a good story (not all).  I am always up for anything that is not well known.  

I am currently looking at Matchmaker but it is several scenes, The Miracle Worker several scenes, (we have a small stage - 25ft wide) and The Game's A foot but has a small cast size

I sound picky but for having a hard time choosing one.  I constantly tell my students that play choice is the hardest thing I do.  

thanks for any and all comments.

------------------------------
    Don Markham
    Theater Director
    Cleveland High School
    Cleveland TN

• 2.  RE: Play advice

Posted 05-29-2018 15:52
    Stardust by Walter Kerr (available through Dramatic Publishing) might fit that bill. Hilarious play, one of my favorite experiences directing it. Single boxed set.  18 characters (11W 7M), though 12 of those are young college-aged students (18, 19, 20ish), not exactly the "kids playing kids" that you are trying to avoid, but close to it. It's three acts, so it is on the longer side though... It's a fun show!

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Play advice

Posted 05-29-2018 20:45
    We just did The Matchmaker in March. Our cast loved it as did the audience. 16 is a nice cast number. The kids liked the story line and the time era. Set was easy, you can make it as simple to ornate as you want. Two years ago we did Once in a Lifetime, bigger cast at 23, but still today is everyone’s favorite. Another favorite of mine is Arsenic and Old Lace...if you have a comedic male who can play Teddy, it’ll be super fun!!!

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Play advice

Posted 05-30-2018 06:36
    Have you considered You Can't Take It With You?  I directed it last year and it was a great success.  Very funny, single, unit set, a cast of 16.

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 5.  RE: Play advice

Posted 05-30-2018 09:02
    Did "Arsenic" about 5 years ago - it is a favorite of mine - best set we have built

Just can't seem to get into "You Can't Take it with You"  I have seen it a bunch of times.  

thanks for the others - I will check them out.

Don Markham
    Theater Director
    Cleveland High School
    Cleveland TN

• 6.  RE: Play advice

Posted 06-05-2018 23:46
    One of my favorite scripts of late that I am waiting on the right group to perform is Jessica Swale's Blue Stockings. Beautiful show about the challenges of some of the first young women to attend Girton College, associated with Cambridge University. Late 1800's, flexible set design. A very beautiful script. These young women gave up EVERYTHING to be educated, and fighting for the right to get a degree was a lose-lose in many ways. Their love of learning and knowledge was really the only thing they gained, often giving up being "marry-able" (what man would want a feisty smarty-pants?), they couldn't really get jobs with those degrees even if they were granted, etc. But it isn't only a serious issue play. It is funny and romantic, with such an intelligent script. High school kids need to really have acting chops and a level of maturity to pull it off, though. Nearly all of the characters, male and female, are highly intelligent and show it off through dizzying banter on science and philosophy. It is heady without being dry. Really worth reading.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 7.  RE: Play advice

Posted 06-06-2018 09:04

Good morning,

Big fan of Matchmaker. Although, "You Can't Take it With You" is incredibly funny and have a great sized cast.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 8.  RE: Play advice

Posted 06-13-2018 07:51
    "The Desk Set" by William Marchant (Samuel French). IMO, the play is better than the Hepburn/Tracy movie. Single location, though there has to be a giant, punch-card reading computer in the final scene (some of our bookcases from the early scenes turned into the computer). Both old fashioned and relevant.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ