Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-15-2019 12:15
    Hello!

The English department at my school is looking to spruce up their curriculum and asked if I had any ideas for plays they could use to supplant some of the texts they currently use for their revolutionary war unit. They don't have to specifically be about the war or set during the war, the acceptable range is 1600's to 1800's. Something that represents the experience or point of view of different cultures like Native Americans, African Americans, Latin Americans, etc. Essentially just trying to get away from Johnny Tremain and the Founding Fathers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance for your time and knowledge!

------------------------------
    Chris Wollman
    Burbank CA

• 2.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-15-2019 17:07
    Are you willing to go into the 1800's? We're doing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow next season (great script btw) and it's set in 1801.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-16-2019 07:33
    The Kentucky Cycle follows one family through the generations from 1775 to 1975 in a series of short plays. It's very well written, but has a little edge. Maybe the first couple of vignettes would be good?

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-17-2019 08:01
    It could be difficult because American theatre during that span consisted mostly either productions foreign plays (i.e. Shakespeare) or vaudevillie / variety shows.  It's not really until the mid-1800s that you start to see notable works develop and even then it's slim.  You could have them look at something like Crow and Weasel by Jim Leonard Jr.  which is written in the tradition of Native American folk tale or, as stated by Cassy, The Kentucky Cycle.  I don't know what substantial work you'll find written or set in that period other than something like The Crucible.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-17-2019 09:31

Those are hard to find. There is one full-length about an African-American family shortly after the Civil War called She'll Find her Way Home by Valletta Anderson. It has a great historical context because it's based on the family that founded Mount Bayou, Mississippi.It's currently in print. There is also a dramatic adaptation of Charles Chestnutt's The Passing of Grandison which takes place in the 1800's. I think its currently out of print, but I could probably find a link to it if you think they'd be interested. There is also a one act play about a family during the time of the Gold Rush--which is 1870, I believe called Oregon Fever by David Rush. 

None of these were written during that time, though. 

Jean Klein
    Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]
    Virginia BeachVA

• 6.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-17-2019 10:22
    Hello! Thank you all very much for these suggestions, I really appreciate you taking the time. I apologize for not being more clear on this point: I'm looking for plays that are SET during this time period, not plays actually written during this time period. Modern plays are A-OK!

Chris Wollman
    Burbank CA

• 7.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-26-2019 15:24
    I have a play set in the English Regency period (early 1800's) Contact me and I'll send you info if you are interested.   Leon

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 8.  RE: Plays set in America between 1600's and 1800's (various cultures)

Posted 05-28-2019 17:33
    Idris Goodwin: The Way the Mountain Moved. It’s just out of timeframe at 1850. Worth looking at.

---------------------------------
    Jennifer Trice
    Performing Arts Chair
    Green Run Collegiate
    Virginia Beach VA
    ---------------------------------