Open Forum

View Only

A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

• 1.  A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-09-2020 12:12
    Hello all, 

I know this has been a subject of discussion already but let me reiterate any warnings you may have heard about working with Concord Theatricals right now (what was Samuel French, R&H and Tams).

For various reasons we announced a musical last year but had to change it to Chicago (High School Edition) in the middle of November.  We contacted them on Nov 20th and they assured us they could make it happen.  They were happy to take our money, gave us permission to do the show and said we would likely get the scripts/scores on Jan 10th.  

We contacted them today and they told us that because of the new website their entire system is currently on "lockdown" and nothing is moving forward.  Apparently our check is sitting in a pile someplace and they can give us no estimate about when we could get our materials.  We have no scores.  We have no scripts. We open March 5th.  

I really don't want to be overly harsh, but currently they seem incapable of the basic necessities of doing business.  

Stay away,

Chris Sheldon
    Bancroft School

------------------------------
    Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 2.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-09-2020 13:22
    I've noticed that all the information from the various sites aren't currently showing right now either. I logged in and can see everything from my Samuel French account but nothing from R&H and we already had a completed contract for Cinderella and my rentals arrived today. I contacted them and am waiting to see what they say. I have none of the materials or license information from R&H that I can access right now.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-09-2020 19:40
    Glad you got your rentals.  Break a Leg!

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 4.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 11:13

Hi Shira,

Thank you for posting – we're happy to provide some feedback for you. We've been able to confirm that the Cinderella license is in your account. Since our website just launched on Wednesday, our developer team is still working on integration issues, which is why there is a delay in you seeing the contract.

While the launch of ConcordTheatricals.com is really exciting, we want to express our gratitude to customers like you for your patience throughout this process. If there is anything else for which we can provide assistance, please let us know. And, break a leg with Cinderella!
    Abbie

Abbie Van Nostrand
    VP, Client Relations & Community Engagement
    Concord Theatricals
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 08:45
    An update (and wanting to be fair).  We got an email with digital resources for auditions today along with some tracks.  The email also said that our scripts/scores are in the mail and will arrive on the 15th.  And the rehearsal performance tracks should be emailed to us in the next few days.  Fingers crossed.

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 6.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 09:42
    I got very quick and courteous results with phone calls. Becca quickly approved my membership registration, and a rights agreement was soon to follow.

The new Concord website is three days old, and I've been impressed with the transition and customer service. I got rights yesterday, ordered scripts today, and I've been told by another rep, Brooke Rohm (who was super understanding and apologetic for the delays), that digital downloads of sound effects albums and suchlike will be available within three business days.

I know lots of people have had communication issues with Sam French, Tams, and R&H in the past, but I'm cautiously optimistic that this new company will be much improved in communication and effectiveness.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 7.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 09:52
    I hope so too.  We've made several phone calls and have run into brick walls.  Friendly brick walls but they weren't able to tell us anything.  Not faulting the folks on the other end of the phone.  They must have a rough job right now.  
    Hopefully they will work out the kinks and my stuff will arrive next week and we'll be fine.  

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 8.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 11:12

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing the above thoughts. While the merger of our four companies, plus the launch of ConcordTheatricals.com, is incredibly exciting, we also recognize that the process may cause bumps in the road for our customers. So, we really appreciate the feedback from your experience.

It's great to hear that you've received the digital resources, with the physical copies arriving soon. While our Licensing team has been continuously processing requests, there will be a bit of a delay as we catch up with the website transfer. We very much appreciate our customers' patience during this time, as the final outcome of the new site will benefit everyone.

Abbie

If there is anything else that we can do to better your experience with Concord Theatricals, please do reach out to us. And, of course, break a leg with Chicago

Abbie Van Nostrand
    Concord Theatricals
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 11:32
    Abbie, 

Thank you for the reply and attention.  That is very much appreciated.  

Hopefully the website transfer will go smoothly and things will get easy from this point onward.

Chris

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 10.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 11:17

Hi Josh,

Many thanks for your kind words! We very much appreciate your feedback and will pass it along to our team, particularly Becca and Brooke.

Break a leg with your show!

Abbie

Abbie Van Nostrand
    Concord Theatricals
    New York NY

• 11.  RE: A Warning - Sam French and Concord Theatricals

Posted 01-10-2020 12:44
    We had a little glitch too with the switch over, but that is to be expected with a tidal wave of change I think.  I try to stay in contact with any of the houses when things change - as early as possible.  

I'd like to also add that my attempts to contact and ask for script modifications or extra materials from all of the publishers are so much more positive when I start early and look ahead.   Dramatists just gave me a chance to get a minor line change in a script and it is so liberating to not have to stress over it anymore.

side bar - At National Conference in the Fall in NYC the guys from MTI were able to let me/us see a little better how much of an ebb and flow their schedule/work flow are and I have a new angle of understanding with what they go through.  They generally want us teachers/producers to succeed.  Helped me re-tool some of the timing on my pre-production work and expectations.

Thanks for posting and responding everyone, it is so good to hear familiar echoes of challenges and solutions and to know we aren't alone in the struggle!!!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]