Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Round Robin/Classroom practice?

Posted 10-03-2018 12:45
    Hey all,

I have time built into my classes to allow practice time for pieces...
    I have a hard time keeping them focused for an entire period of practice.
    Do you guys have any round robin ideas? student critique ideas?? 
    I would like to work on structuring the class to make sure they are making progress..

Thanks for the help...

Erika

------------------------------
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 2.  RE: Round Robin/Classroom practice?

Posted 10-03-2018 15:23
    One thing I have found successful is to have specific objectives for each rehearsal.  Once they feel they have met the objective I have them use Flipgrid to record whatever they completed.   Ie.  For Blocking rehearsal, they create their blocking and rehearse it then video it.  They then have a video archive of their personal rehearsal process.  Additionally, I assign reflection video questions.  We are a 1to1 school so this works well.  Flipgrid is FREE and super easy to use. If you are not 1to1 this may be a challenge but you could still have them record or perhaps perform bits each day for peer reflection.  My goal is to have them performing and reflecting every day.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Round Robin/Classroom practice?

Posted 10-04-2018 11:45
    I have never heard of flipgrid!
    Sounds cool! We video ALL major presentations and performances...
    I'll look into it!

Thanks,
    Erika

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 4.  RE: Round Robin/Classroom practice?

Posted 10-04-2018 12:44
    Check it out!  Flipgrid is super easy to use and all features are now free.  Yep! FREE!  It allows students to view each other's work and comment/critique on each individual video.  We have found it to be very effective in improving performance.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Round Robin/Classroom practice?

Posted 10-05-2018 08:28
    Hello,
    I've got similar class structure in that students rehearse scenes during class time.  And, with a circus happening in their pockets as well as a 1:1 laptop, it's a challenge to get kids OFF their technology.  But, here's how I get them to focus (most of the time! ;)):
    1. students have to turn in their blocked script
    2. students have to turn in their scored script
    3. students do peer critiques in their workbook.  They look for certain aspects of the scene that are strong and aspects that can be improved.  They have to record who they observed (3-4 groups) and the critiques they received (from 3-4 groups).  They turn in their peer critiques.
    4. They do self-reflections over the rehearsal process (usually, I assign this if the class is not working...)
    5. I circulate constantly!!  I'm always bandying between groups, asking for questions, observing their work, commenting on ways to improve or opportunities for comedy/dramatic impact.  

I don't know if this helps :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA