Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Leaving Iowa

Posted 08-09-2018 20:52
    Leaving Iowa is in the running for my fall play.  I would love some feedback from anyone who has already produced the show.

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Greg Franklin
    Burlington NC

• 2.  RE: Leaving Iowa

Posted 08-10-2018 03:34
    Hi, Gregg-
    We did this show as our dinner theatre production a few years ago. It was a keeper. There was a little bit of everything for the audience. Patrons couldn't wait to talk about their "family vacation " experiences with us after the show. Keep the music - adds to the experience! We added a few more actors to the non-car scenes and it worked well!
    Break Legs!

Cynthia Macioce
    Drama Instructor/Master Teacher
    Senior Professional Educator
    Visual/Performing Arts, Chair
    Gahanna Lincoln High School
    Gahanna, Ohio

• 3.  RE: Leaving Iowa

Posted 08-10-2018 12:09
    Leaving Iowa is a GREAT choice.  I love the stories, I love the characters, I love the situations.  My only piece of advice would be avoid casting every character with a different actor.  Some of the roles are one-liners and are too small to give to a single actor.  Double up some of the smaller roles so that your actors have a chance to show off their flexibility.  Break a leg!

Tim Buchheit, Director
    Department of Theatre and Speech
    St. Francis Borgia Regional High School
    Washington, MO

• 4.  RE: Leaving Iowa

Posted 08-10-2018 12:33
    Did this show a couple years ago on a raked stage painted to look like a '50's postcard from Iowa complete with circular pop-outs of tourist attractions such as the birthplace of John Wayne and Captain James T. Kirk and a few pieces/parts.  Very touching show.  I can't recommend it highly enough. (Says the guy still in Iowa!)

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 5.  RE: Leaving Iowa

Posted 08-10-2018 19:09
    William, that sounds awesome! Do you have any pictures from your production?

---------------------------------
    Greg Franklin

Burlington NC
    ---------------------------------