Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-27-2018 01:14
    I am wondering if there are any guidelines from EDTA for us to follow, or if it is Troupe by Troupe?  How would/have others handled the following.

An actor in the cast posted hurtful comments about the show as a whole, and specific leads on her personal Snapchat account. These found their way back to the cast. She was first placed on 'probation' from the show, and then quit the production. Sadly this comes as a series of difficult situations with this student.

My question is, are there also consequences vis a vis her standing as an Honor Thespian?

Sincerely,

Tom Schulz

------------------------------
    Tom Schulz
    Singapore

• 2.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-27-2018 11:02
    Hi Tom,

This is what the handbook has to say:

"Revoking Thespian member benefits

Official Thespian induction confers a lifetime membership. Thespians cannot be withdrawn from the national membership rolls and continue to receive subscriptions and other benefits that come directly from the National Office. However, troupe directors may suspend or withdraw a Thespian's status as a member in good standing of the local troupe for just cause, usually according to guidelines set in the troupe constitution and in consultation with the administration. Losing local good standing may affect major benefits that require a troupe director's authorization, including point awards, honor ranks, graduation recognition, troupe and chapter event participation, etc."

If your troupe constitution doesn't have procedure for this sort of thing, I'd consider carefully how you wish to handle this student, as it will set precedent.  Amend you constitution later to include policy that covers situations such as this.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-27-2018 11:05
    As far as I know, there is not an official policy for social media. It probably would go on a troupe by troupe basis, or as outlined in your troupe's constitution, if such rules are spelled out. If they are not, it may be time to amend the constitution, especially in this day and age. In regards to your question about this member's status as an "Honor Thespian," the ITS Handbook says this:

"Official Thespian induction confers a lifetime membership. Thespians cannot be withdrawn from the national membership rolls and continue to receive subscriptions and other benefits that come directly from the National Office. However, troupe directors may suspend or withdraw a Thespian's status as a member in good standing of the local troupe for just cause, usually according to guidelines set in the troupe constitution and in consultation with the administration. Losing local good standing may affect major benefits that require a troupe director's authorization, including point awards, honor ranks, graduation recognition, troupe and chapter event participation, etc."

So, I think you can (if you so choose) revoke their "in good standing" status, which would then revoke their status as an "Honor Thespian," though they would still be considered a Thespian.

I will also add that I had a similar issue last year. I copied an Ethics Contract that someone else on this board made, and edited it to suit my needs. It spelled out in explicit detail expectations in regards to social media, and required that all students who were officers and/or in our plays sign it along with their parents. That has helped, I think.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-27-2018 11:26
    I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and your troupe. It's never great to hear an actor who was cast say hurtful things about a show. But this is a great learning opportunity and teaching moment.

Social Media is definitely a topic that should be discussed within your troupe. As far as EdTA there is no guidelines as far as I know. However, I would suggest that your troupe look into adding social media best practices as well as repercussions into your bylaws. This is also a teaching moment to let your students know their actions have consequences even if they think it's only for a split second.

Bullying is not tolerated, so I would have the Thespian look at their actions and have them decide does this deem themselves worthy of being a "Honor Thespian." Probation is a good start and again, now that something like this has happened in your troupe, it will now set precedent to any future incidences that may happen. In the moment it can be very painful but continue to remember that it's a great learning opportunity for everyone involved.

"Act well your part, there all the honor lies," and if the Thespian did say hurtful things, their honor was laid and will have to know their actions have consequences.

I hope this helps and again I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Hopefully as I said before turn this tragedy into a great teaching and learning opportunity for all.

Mark Drum

• 5.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-27-2018 11:31
    Make sure you run your decision past your admin first. This way you both have their support and they are prepped in case parents go to them concerning the situation... and most school's have policies in place concerning social media.

I would also ban her from auditioning from your next show; both because she quit the production and for her behavioral choices. She should have an opportunity to earn back you trust, assuming there is time before she graduates, but she'll need to demonstrate this through actions. Words are not enough. I have a standing rule in my department that if you make a choice that is detrimental to the production you are not allowed to audition for the next main stage performance. I have had students who had to deal with this, and earning my trust back, and then landed leads in future shows. They are kids and we are education them. The opportunity to make up for past transgressions needs to be there but it is not given. The kids need to show that they learned an important life lesson and that they are willing to work to make amends.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-28-2018 08:53
    I agree with seeing your admin first and double checking all school and district rules on such a topic.  

Also, we have a Company Contract that tech and actor along with parent/guardian sign at time of application/audition.  This covers the grade policy, attendance policy, and good neighbor policy (basically treating each other with respect both in person, online and any other form of communication).

When I created the audition/application packets I made sure to include my admin just to make sure we were all on the same page with expectations.  This has helped a lot when kids as well as parents/guardians try to push their version of something, but the contract has always been the backbone of all decisions made.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 7.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-28-2018 09:06
    I don't know about your school system Tom, but mine would consider that virtual bullying and I would be required to make administrative referrals. Especially if this is a pattern of behavior. 

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 8.  RE: Misuse of Social Media

Posted 09-28-2018 10:48
      |   view attached
    I am pretty sure someone on this forum posted this document of social media rules.  I keep it on my bulletin board.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

Attachment(s)