Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-05-2018 19:20
    Hi everyone!

Our school is producing a play set in the 1850's which requires some Victorian era furniture (settee, occasional tables, armchair, table and chairs, desk). Do you have any advice on how to get your hands on furniture from this era? Most of the vintage rental companies are out of our price range. We're located outside of Charlotte, NC.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-06-2018 07:52
    ​Reach out to your cast parents!  Every year, we need something strange.  This year, it was a silver tea set.  We use the Remind App to contact families regarding rehearsals times and cancellations, so I utilized the app to send out a BOLO for a tea set and I was offered four within the hour!  I feel like everyone knows someone who has something that you need to borrow.  Oh, when we did Annie, I needed the ventriloquist dummy and I ended up emailing the entire school district staff!  Managed to find one!  I used to think it was annoying people to beg, borrow, and steal but so many people are just so willing to help!  Reach out!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-06-2018 08:12
    You might check with a regional theatre in your area. They may rent props/furniture from their collection to local high schools. For instance, in our area we occasionally rent/borrow items from the Cleveland Playhouse. They have a vast and luxurious collection.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-06-2018 08:43
    Try looking for antique stores near you. Some are willing to let you borrow (or perhaps rent) items, as long as you promise to care for them and provide credit in your program so they get some free advertising.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-06-2018 09:20
    You can often rent or borrow from vintage furniture stores. You can offer them an ad in the playbill, and verbal thank you in your curtain speech. Also ask parents and teachers at your school.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: Vintage Furniture

Posted 03-06-2018 12:09
    And check with any local colleges with theatre programs.  

I never use borrowed pieces more than a few days before we open.  We use stand-in pieces until then.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC