Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Female Plays

Posted 10-24-2017 06:33
    Looking for suggestions.  Our high school has a drama competition in late December and I have 8 females who just auditioned.  I don't want to cut anyone if I don't have to, but if need be I can cut to 5.  I'm looking for a play that will fit my girls.   It has to be a play, no Musicals.  Six of the eight girls have a lot of stage experience.  Three are very strong.  I was looking at The Odd Couple (female version) but not feeling really strong with it.  Can be any genre.  They are stronger with an emotional drama than with comedy but can wok with any strong selection.  Any advice is welcome.

------------------------------
    Michael Shaffer
    Teacher/Director/Stage Manager
    West Allegheny High School
    Imperial PA

• 2.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-25-2017 07:32
    Hi Michael:
    I highly recommend Steel Magnolias. While it's a serious play, it has awesome moments of humor, and will allow your students to stretch their acting muscles. It has 6 characters, five of whom appear on stage almost the whole time. The entire play takes place in Truvy's beauty shop. The student playing Ouiser stole the show! The best part... the costumes! So fun to revisit the 80s.

Zena Rodriguez
    Coconut Grove, FL

• 3.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-25-2017 09:25
    Just saw "Hoodie" by Lindsay Price, cast of 20. You could use a smaller cast with kids playing multiple parts.

It is 45 minutes long, is about different issues teens have. Some is very funny, some more serious, but nothing dark.

Robert Hansen
    Monrovia CA

• 4.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-25-2017 15:36
    Brad Bailey's The Real Queen of Hearts Ain't Even Pretty. Laurie Brooks' Afflicted: Daughters of Salem. Alan Ball's Five Women Wearing the Same Dress. Charlotte Delbo's Who Will Carry the Word?. Diane Samuels' Kindertransport. Frederico Garcia Lorca's The House of Bernarda Alba. Caryl Churchill's Top Girls if you really want to blow some high school minds. Also, keep in mind that just because you have an all-female group doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be an all-female play. Just look at the Takarazuka Revue. They're one of the most popular theatre companies in Japan, and every single show has women playing all of the roles. (The women playing men are even referred to as the "top stars," and many of them have massive fan followings.)

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-25-2017 17:20
    My girls really like Trojan Women. You could also look at doing a Shakespeare with an all female cast; lots to work with on those...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-26-2017 10:52
    I produced Salem's Daughter last spring.  All female cast.  It works really well.

Pamela Evitts
    Teacher
    Lamar MO

• 7.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-26-2017 14:21
    I've read "Who Will Carry the World" and highly recommend it!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 8.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-28-2017 09:12
    We are currently in production of 'Decision Height' by Meredith Dayna Levy. It is absolutely awesome and my girls are LOVING it! I am at an all-girls school and am always looking for strong female parts, etc. This is the best experience with a play I have ever had. The play is wonderfully written and so moving, not to mention it educates the cast, crew and the audience about a little known group of women in history. Not sure if you can round up one more girl, as it has nine great roles, a couple that are smaller than the others, but very ensemble based. You have the option of adding ensemble as well. Just can't say enough about it. Good Luck!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 9.  RE: Female Plays

Posted 10-30-2017 07:32
    ​I second Decision Height. We did it three years ago, and it's a great piece. A little mature, great history tie-ins, challenging for the actresses.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA