Open Forum

View Only

Sure Thing bell help

• 1.  Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-20-2017 06:48
    I have 2 students who want to perform 'Sure Thing' by David Ives for a competition. In this competition, they're not allowed to have any props so they can't use a bell. We tried doing a clap, coughing, moving a chair, and a few other weird alternatives that don't work. Anyone ever have this issue? We're thinking they'll just have to find another scene, but I thought I'd check in here first.

• 2.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-20-2017 07:13
    They can't use ANY props? I did Sure Thing in high school (in the show and at competition) and the bell was integral to the scene. I can't think of anything else that would have the same effect. ):

I wish you luck!

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-20-2017 08:01
    I've seen plenty forensics duos where there the actors simply said "ding" or maybe accompanied that verbal ding with a finger snap and it's worked.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-20-2017 12:21
    I would have them pantomime the bell and say "ding!" at the same time.  If that works, awesome.  If not, try a new scene,.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-20-2017 13:18
    I agree.  I've seen duos in speech do it many times with the person who doesn't say the cue line, simply saying "ding". It works.

Mark Quinlan
    teacher/director of theater/head speech coach
    Centennial School District, ISD#12
    Circle Pines MN

• 6.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-21-2017 08:25
    can you use someone offstage doing the bell sound effect?

Emily Budd
    Theatre Director
    Fairburn GA

• 7.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-21-2017 09:03
    I like @Ryan Moore 's idea of the finger snap. I performed this scene for my HS senior showcase umpteen years ago and we made the choice to have one bell for each of us on stage, giving the timing of the bell to the actor to control, which makes for some fun choices of when they realize, want, or need the scene to "reset". I think the simple finger snap could have the same effect. Have fun!

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Relationship Officer
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-22-2017 17:18
    Freeze them out and then go back to the initial starting point of that scene ( that freeze). If they can make that clean it should work well. The physical element should help.

--
    Blair Biederman
    "This above all; to thine ownself be true."

Mesquite High School will:
    Educate
        Mentor
             Inspire
    Students

Under Arizona Law, email to and from public entities may be public records subject to release upon request. This message (including any attachments) contains information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by either reply email or by telephone and delete this message from your system.

• 9.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-21-2017 09:54
    Like others, I've used this for competition before and the students have just said "ding" with a resonant bell-like tone, and it has worked.  You can play with who says ding each time.  It's been well received and clear as to what is happening.  Good luck! 

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia

• 10.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-21-2017 10:05
    Hmmm.  I suggest having a "bell" person say DING! every time the bell rings.  A clap just isn't the right sound.  In a student-directed one-act show years ago one of the directors chose this show and the bell is such an integral part of it that I would say either the word DING! or find another piece.  It's really fun though.  Good luck!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 11.  RE: Sure Thing bell help

Posted 09-29-2017 11:24
    Have you checked with the competition about the use of a sound effect? May be someone could do it from off stage as a sound cue. Also, if the prop is integral to the scene and the audience's understanding of the play I'd check with the organizer to see if there are any exceptions to this rule.

Christine Auxier
    Theatre teacher
    Providence RI