Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fall comedy

Posted 08-27-2020 14:02

Hello all. I have spent the entire summer reading plays in search of a good production for our fall schedule. I am struggling, even though I must appreciate my enhanced knowledge of many playwrights and their work.   This does not help my student with a fall production. My challenges are: We are a small Catholic high school (quite Catholic.) The students have asked for a fun, more modern comedy and of course, we needs to lend itself to hybrid/virtual standards.  I am thinking of doing two one acts but if I can find a funny, relatively small cast (6-8) play, maybe more females than males, I will be able to finally sleep at night.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Teresa De Zarn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 2.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 08-28-2020 05:58
    Hi Teresa,
    I am in a school with a very conservative administration. It is difficult to find plays that don't have objectionable language or other content. I'm assuming also that you will need to socially distance your students on stage? 

I did a night of one act plays a number of years ago and needed something squeaky clean for a group of freshmen, mostly girls. I chose "Twelve Angry Pigs", a parody of the courtroom drama, thinking it would be a good place to cast the inexperienced / low talent young ones - sort of silly, throwaway fluff for the evening.

It turned out to be a nice exercise in character work, especially for the beginners. We made each pig distinct and had fun with the costumes, ears, and noses. The kids loved it and it turned out much better than I imagined. Some audience members told me that it was their favorite of the night.

If you are familiar with 12 Angry Men, you can easily see the parallels. I had the kids read that play as an extension activity.
    12 Pigs was royalty-free and the script was online at that time; it belongs to Eldridge now. Here is the link if you are interested:
    https://histage.com/twelve-angry-pigs

Best wishes,
    Betsie

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Wotherspoon
    FHS Drama Director
    Fairfield Community School District
    Fairfield IA

• 3.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 08-28-2020 11:26
    I think you can double Kate Hamill's Sense and Sensibility down that small. It's a great adaptation, very funny, with lots of roles for women. I think you could have fun embracing the social distancing in the midst of all the social strictures in place during Jane Austen's time.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 08-28-2020 17:13
    Take a look at "The Purrfect Crime" by Todd Wallinger at Pioneer Drama Service. It's not a classic, but it's good, clean fun that will fit your parameters well. And ALL Pioneer Drama plays can be licensed for livestreaming, recording, or online performances. Best wishes!

https://www.pioneerdrama.com/SearchDetail.asp?pc=PURRFECTCR&id=12

Debra Fendrich
    Executive Editor
    Debra@pioneerdrama.com

• 5.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 08-30-2020 10:51

Debra,

Thank you. I will take a look at it.

Be safe. Be well.

Teresa

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 6.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 08-31-2020 08:57
    Hi,

I would recommend Game of Tiara's its a nice little play  by Don Zolidis

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2749
    When the aging king of a Magical Kingdom (England) decides to split his empire between his three daughters, Cinderella, Belle, and the Snow Queen (who in no way resembles a copyrighted character), terrible tragedy ensues. Terrible, hilarious tragedy. Combining the gut-wrenching plot twists of Game of Thrones and the soul-numbing despair of Shakespearean tragedy, this adaptation of King Lear will leave you dying with laughter as the body count mounts. When you play the Game of Tiaras, you win or you die. 

Break A Leg,
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 7.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 09-01-2020 14:49
    We're looking at a couple plays by @Don Zolidis. Game of Tiaras definitely gave me a chuckle when I read it this summer. It was so self-aware. I think there might be a middle school version (or at least I know there are some pre-approved line changes) if you have to tame down some of the references. But it's pretty tame. You also might like his How to Survive Being in a Shakespeare Play, which is currently my top choice (available from Stage Partners).​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: Fall comedy

Posted 09-01-2020 08:27
    Hello.
    We are also a small Catholic school and we did The complete works and it was a big success for us. The kids really enjoyed the quick pacing of it and the jokes/ad libbing that happened. It calls for 3 people to play all of the parts, but you could elaborate as needed. For example one group could do Romeo and juliet while the narrators watch as if there the real audience or even have them sit in the balcony if you have one like the Muppets. Definitely a nice production with audience interaction that the parents loved. There are some questionable parts, but you can soften them a little bit.

Good Luck.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA