Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-23-2021 11:29
    Hello:) 
    We have been planning a trip to NYC in April since spring.  Now that Broadway is opening and mandating vaccinations to attend shows (and to do pretty much anything in the city), some of our parents are considering pulling their kids from the trip.  It is a dilemma because we are split about 50/50... those who are or will get vaccinated, and those asking to change our destination.  
    My question to you guys... while I know there can be no destination comparable to New York for a theatre trip, is there another fun city or destination where we may be able to catch some good theatre, maybe do a workshop with a college or professional theatre, explore the area and not have the vaccine mandate? I have considered Chicago but I would think they will have similar mandates.  There is also Disney, but living in Georgia a lot of the kids have been there, some multiple times, and it just doesn't have that same appeal.  
    Not looking to start a debate...  just trying to think of other options and I'm drawing a blank.  Any suggestions would be appreciated:) Thanks in advance!

Lori Bush

Director of Theatre Activities

Pike County High School

Pike County Middle School

• 2.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 09:16
    Chicago is the "second city" for a reason. Explore to see if theatres are open there. Boston has a few theatres open too.

• 3.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 09:17
    Hi, 

I lived and worked in NYC for 25 years. I was just there this summer and it was so depressing to see the theatres  dark and the streets so empty. We all have to support its comeback. I am also in  support of getting vaccinated. There is no substitute for NYC. I personally would dig my heels in and find a way to stick with the plan. NYC and Broadway need us and we need them.

------------------------------
    Teresa De Zarn
    Troupe Director
    McNicholas High School

• 4.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 12:38
    Just here to support your choice to keep it NYC and not to travel with students who aren't vaccinated. Good luck!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    Louisiana Co-Chapter Director

• 5.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 14:40
    Just for your information - this is what Broadway in Chicago recently released. 

WE AWAIT YOUR ARRIVAL

Lou Raizin, President of Broadway In Chicago:

"We look forward to your return.  The health and safety of you, our patrons, is our main concern.  The theatre community was the first to close and the last to reopen and this has been a tremendous loss for all of us and the City of Chicago as the economic generator that the arts provide. Given that theatres need to open with 100% capacity, our working together with fellow Chicago arts organizations has given us the opportunity to chart our way back to opening our doors and bringing our stages alive again safely."

Broadway In Chicago is looking forward to October 5 when we reopen our theatres.  In addition to planning the return of fabulous Broadway shows, our masked and vaccinated staff has been working diligently to ensure that your return to the theatre will be safe and inviting.  Your health and safety is our top priority.  We have enhanced our air handling and filtration throughout the theatres, incorporated new sanitation technologies, and have reduced all touch points including initiating mobile ticketing and making mobile Playbills available. 

Our theatres operate at 100% capacity; as such, as an audience member, the proper wearing of masks will be required of you at all times in the theatre and throughout the performance.  As well all audience members now through December 31, 2021, will be required to show proof of vaccination.  For those with exceptions, a proof of negative COVID 19 test will be required.*  These protocols are aligned with a growing coalition of over 60 performing arts venues and producers across Chicagoland that have agreed upon Covid-19 Vaccination and Mask Requirements for audiences through the end of 2021.

*Audiences members will need to be masked and fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine in order to attend the indoor performances in all our Broadway In Chicago Theatres.  Audience members must show proof of vaccination (either through electronic copy, photo copy or photo) along with photo ID at their time of entry into the venue with their valid ticket. "Fully vaccinated" means the performance date must be at least 14 days after the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine, or at least 14 days after a single-dose vaccine. If unable to be vaccinated, guests may provide proof of a COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of the performance start time, or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours of the performance start time.  No home tests will be accepted.  This includes accommodations for children under 12 and people with a medical condition or closely held religious belief that prevents vaccination.  Our mask mandate will continue to be in place through December 2022; however, the vaccination requirement is only in place now through December 31, 2021.

Refreshment service is still being evaluated and details will be updated here as we get closer to opening.  Broadway In Chicago's COVID protocol may change or be extended, or relaxed without notice, as we continue to evaluate all protocols, informed by science, and conforming to all Federal, State and local requirements and follow changing rules and guidelines as they evolve for the safety of our patrons.

If you choose not to abide by these protocols and you purchased your tickets prior to August 17, 2021, you may request a credit for a future date or a refund by contacting customerservice@broadwayinchicago.com

For further information including commonly asked question visit www.broadwayinchicago.com/COVID19

We all look forward to seeing you in the theatre soon.

Tracie Folger

Instructor of Technical theatre and design
    College of Lake County
    Grayslake, IL

• 6.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 14:39
    Atlanta, GA is a great go to!
    The Alliance Theatre in particular will host your students for workshops with their teaching artists, tour your group in the amazing space, and do a q and a with whatever show you might catch!!
    Also the Puppetry Center for the Arts is nearby , the Cobb Center and many more cultural venues!!!

Heather Davidson
    Drama Faculty
    Davidson Fine Arts School
    Augusta,GA.

• 7.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 14:40
    I live in the Washington DC area, and there is plenty of excellent theater here.  However, most, if not all, of the area theaters are also requiring audiences to be fully vaccinated.

Joanna Henry

• 8.  RE: Alternative to NYC?

Posted 08-24-2021 16:06
    Thank you everyone for the feedback! In discussing with the boosters, I think we have decided to push through for a fully vaccinated trip to New York, and hope for the best in getting the numbers that we need. However, now I am also intrigued and can't wait to travel to DC and Toronto to check out the theatre scenes there in the future!:) 

Lori Bush

Director of Theatre Activities

Pike County High School

Pike County Middle School