Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Burlesque Feather Fans for Xanadu

Posted 02-07-2017 17:55
    Hi all,

I am looking to purchase/rent 12 large feather fans for my theatre department's production of Xanadu. We have a small budget and each fan is very pricey (minimum of $75 per fan!). Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy 12 low-priced feather fans or where I can find cheap materials to build my own? They need to be large (see examples below).

Thanks for your suggestions!

------------------------------
    Sophie Willard-Van Sistine
    California State Thespian Officer
    Thespian Troupe 2129
    Claremont, CA

• 2.  RE: Burlesque Feather Fans for Xanadu

Posted 02-08-2017 10:03

I live in south Louisiana.  Such fans are often used in Mardi Gras events.  You might look for rentals from this area.  This year, Mardi Gras is 2/28 so I'm sure there will be fans available to rent after that date.

• 3.  RE: Burlesque Feather Fans for Xanadu

Posted 02-09-2017 07:40
    When we did 'Spamalot' we made feather fans for the big Spamalot number by buy cheap fans from Oriental Trading Co. and feathers from The Theatre House and hot gluing more feathers onto the cheapies. They weren't quite as big as your picture, but they were perfect fro us. 
    I also bought some sequin crown for the girls and added feathers into those as a headdress to accompany the fans.

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 4.  RE: Burlesque Feather Fans for Xanadu

Posted 02-09-2017 11:19
    We used feather fans last year in our production of Catch Me if You Can.  We made ours.  We constructed handles our of plywood and attached large paint stirs to them.  Then, we painted the wood black and glued feather boas to them.  It was inexpensive, easy to put together, and they looked pretty nifty on stage. 

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH