Open Forum

View Only

Professional Development Opportunities in Utah

• 1.  Professional Development Opportunities in Utah

Posted 05-26-2017 11:05
    Anyone looking for professional development that lives close enough to Utah to join us?  Consider this a plug for at least three opportunities that all offer graduate credit for amazing prices!  Brigham Young University in Provo offers two week-long summer institute courses in August and the Utah Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City hosts a myriad of teacher courses in July (some of you may have visited their booth in Las Vegas last year).  I have taught at EdTA conferences and the festival for years and would love to have anyone who can join us in some of these opportunities for theatre educators.  Contact me for more information: shawnda_moss@byu.edu.  Come visit our beautiful state and get some more theatre training at the same time!

BYU Summer Theatre Educator's Institute Course #1
    Theatre Production and Instruction: Breaking Down the Barriers Between The Classroom and the Stage​
    Instructor: Bradley Moss
    Credits: SC ED 589R, Three university graduate-level credits; cost $117

Dates: July 31-August 4, 2017 (Monday-Friday)

Times: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
    (can be used for endorsement seekers in directing or tech theatre or even curriculum)

BYU Summer Theatre Educator's Institute Course #2
    Acting for Educators: Acting Training and Performance Curriculum Creation
    Instructor: Shawnda Moss
    Credits: SC ED 589R, Three university graduate-level; cost $192
    Dates: August 7-11, 2017 (Monday-Friday) 
    Times: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.​
    (professional actors will be joining us ala master class format in specific acting techniques from which we will then create curriculum for our own students - you get to expand your own acting as well as your students'!)
    (can be used for endorsement seekers in acting or curriculum)

Utah Shakespeare Festival Course
    The Utah Shakespeare Festival has hired me to teach a course on Teaching Shakespeare for Theatre and Language Arts educators. This four-day course on July 10-13, Speak the Speech and Ditch the Desk: Active and Engaging Approaches to Teaching Shakespeare will be a great class and includes four USF productions. Feel free to share this class with your Language Arts teachers - I'll send them a personal email if you'll give me a school and name or email address to send it to!
    There are other educator courses available by USF that can be found on their website that will be fabulous as well: bard.org under Education.

------------------------------
    Shawnda Moss
    BYU Theatre & Media Arts
    ------------------------------