Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Don Quixote's Beard

Posted 04-18-2017 15:57
    We're working on Man of La Mancha, and I'm having a bit of a struggle with Don Quixote's beard. If anyone who has done the production before (or any others out there) could give me some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

1. First of all, I'm having a bit of trouble finding a suitably Quixote-esque beard/goatee. Anyone know of a place I can get a good one?

2.  Application. In the musical, the actor playing Cervantes applies the beard on stage while he is giving a speech and transforming into Quixote. Any thoughts on how that can be achieved in a timely fashion that will stay on my actor for the rest of the show? Normally I would just affix it with spirit gum, but I don't think I can have my actor do that in full view of the audience while still being period appropriate.  Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Don Quixote's Beard

Posted 04-19-2017 10:18

You can build a beard on the actor with crepe hair and latex.  Instead of an actual ventilated piece, you can use a piece of nylon stocking as a backing so that the beard will be reusable. (I apply the nylon to the face with latex first, and then build on top of that.)  There are several youtube videos to help with this if you've never done it, for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprGMnh5MYE .  Have him leave it on for a half hour or so to completely dry.  After you remove it, you can trim the edges, etc.  When you want him to apply it on stage, use topstick, toupee tape.  You can have the topstick prepped and already attached to the beard so that the actor just removes the final pieces of tape (like on a bandaid) and applies it to his face.  The tape can be removed and replaced nightly.

Jenny Brotherton

Director of Theater

Scranton High

Knight Players