Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-17-2017 18:10
    Hi, how do you juggle the students' other after-school commitments which may clash with their commitment to the production they are in? We are a participatory school, so there is usually a large cast. The leads are always committed; it's the ensemble/minor roles that I had trouble with last year. I'm just looking for some fresh ideas on how others handle these issues! Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kat Movassaghi
    Drama teacher
    Episcopal School of Acadiana
    Cade, LA

• 2.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-18-2017 07:59

I teach Middle School, so my tactics may or may not help you. :)

My biggest conflict in terms of number of cast affected is our show choir. They rehearse on Mondays, so we don't have play rehearsal on Mondays, unless I am only calling a few non-show-choir folks to work on a specific scene. The fall sports that are our biggest conflict are cross country and volleyball, and sadly, we have not reached a compromise for those kids. They simply have to choose.

I tell my kids that if they are cast in the show and then decide to pursue other activities, that the show has to be the priority until it's over. Most sponsors of other activities support me in this and we have been able to compromise most of the time.

As far as other conflicts - like family trips, birthdays, etc, etc, that invariably come up, I have a policy that any known conflicts must be turned in by the first rehearsal. There is a conflict request on the audition forms...but people tend to remember things once it becomes a reality. Any absence that was not turned in on time becomes unexcused. For ensemble, three unexcused absences result in having featured lines or moments given  to someone else as backup. Five absences mean those lines are reassigned permanently. For our musicals, if they are out and unexcused on days we set large ensemble numbers, they risk being left out of those songs. If leads have excessive unexcused absences, I will assign them an understudy, who then gets to play the role in one of our three performances. 

I have only had to assign an understudy for a lead once in four years, but it made a major impact. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-18-2017 08:38
    I rehearses 3 days a week--Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  2-2.5 hours each day.  This is because hour extracurricular choir ensembles rehearse on Mondays, and our Speech Team has a mandatory all-team rehearsal on Tuesdays.  Because of this, and because I am trying to instill a bit of performer discipline in them, I empahsize that they should spend 20 minutes a day with their script.  It could be spent on one scene they are having trouble memorizing, or reading to get more character info out of the script.  But 20 minutes a day so that when they are in rehearsal, they can show off the new stuff they have been working on and learning.

In addition, I have students fill out a conflict sheet before auditions.  They have a copy of the production schedule, and they are responsible for filling out any and all conflicts with other groups they are in.  Those sponsors/coaches/directors then sign off and say if they will share time or not.  Parents also need to look at it for anything that would cause a student to be absent or have to leave early.  Anything not on the conflict sheet that they bring up later (even if it was scheduled after auditions), becomes an unexcused absence.  After 2 of those, we sit down and talk about if they are going to continue with the show.  But we use those conflict sheets in our casting so we know what kind of time commitment we will be getting out of our actors.

This has greatly reduced my headaches.  

Hope this helps!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 4.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-19-2017 15:36
    My rehearsal schedule varies but looks something like this:

1 - 2 hr. Read Thru
    5 - 2 hr. Blocking Reh.
    1 - 2 hr. Blocking Review after 3rd Blocking Reh.
    11 - 1.5 hr. Music Reh. 1/wk. plus 6 leads each get (5-6) 1/2 hr. Individual Music Reh.- mostly w/ CD, a few w/ piano, plus 1-2x/wk during Reg. Reh. when not on stage go to music w/ piano
    1 - 3 hr. Costume Day
    24 - 2-3 hr. Run Thru. Reh. - at first Act 1 & Act 2 are separate and then together - eventually off script
    35 - 1/2 hr. Dance Reh. before Run Thru & Music Reh.
    5 - 3-5 hr. Music On Stage Reh. w/ piano, pit, microphones & some costumes - no prompting - complete w/ Notes
    1 - 3-5 hr. Dress/Tech. Reh.
    1 - 3-5 hr. Dress/Tech. w/ hair & makeup
    1 - performance w/ small audience
    3 - Show Nights

52 separate days in all. 

I use a conflict form at auditions for the 3 Run Thru Days/wk. so I know who has conflicts, sometimes deters me from giving leads to kids with Major conflicts.

My policy is:  Go to all your activities in the Winter Season that conflict.  Come to rehearsal before and after conflicts even for a short time.  Come on all non-conflict days.  No excused absences for parties, birthdays, etc.  I don't schedule reh. when there is a dance and only schedule 2 Fridays reh/yr. 

Mandatory Music on Stage & Dress/Tech.  - Must skip all activities and come to Reh. for those 2-3 weeks. 

Maria Stadtmueller
    Drama Director
    St. Augustine School (PreK-8)
    Kendall Park, NJ

For details, visit:
    https://help.juno.com/premts

• 5.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-18-2017 10:37
    For 20  years we  have  had rehearsed before school at 7 AM!  The last 2 weeks are after school and mandatory. Students and their parents  sign a contract when they audition that the play/musical comes first those last  two weeks and they are not excused for other sport events or lessons.  If they can't make that commitment, they are asked not to audition.  Our coaches and AD do work with me those two weeks and we occasionally have a baseball player in uniform onstage so he can run to the field when he's done his bit onstage.  The exception is choreography which is one long afternoon each week.  Again, if they aren't free that day, they are not cast as dancers.  We also have trouble getting rehearsal rooms after school and no one else wants to have their events in the A.M.  except Cross Country.  They flex with our kids - allowing them to run on their own!  We have done Jr's and Full Length musicals and this has worked for 20 years!

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 6.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-18-2017 10:41
    Hi;

I have students a form that asks what other commitments they have, regardless of whether it conflicts with planned rehearsal times.  I then try to schedule rehearsals that do not conflict.  It's a lot more work on my part, but I have a rally good idea who's going to be showing up to any given rehearsal and plan accordingly.  This doesn't eliminate all the no shows because of unexpected things such as illness or mom scheduling doctor's appointments without talking to the child, but it's the best I have come up with.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher, RI Chapter Director
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 7.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-19-2017 17:03
    The best way I have found to accommodate the students' other activities is to schedule evening rehearsals, three days a week. Just about everything else does their stuff right after school, except for games and meets, which I try to work around.

We usually do three hour sessions, 6-9, for five weeks, and then meet every night in the week approaching performances. Unless we're doing a musical, which needs another week or two, the formula seems to work.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 8.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-19-2017 17:40
    Thank you for the ideas everyone! Currently we do have the conflict forms, and a parent meeting, and we work pretty well with athletics. I do cast leads in a similar way that some of you have--most committed, least conflicts (and of course most talented!). I have also thought about having them at night and early in the morning too...I will explore those possibilities more. I'm glad to hear that they work.

Kat

Kat Movassaghi
    Drama teacher
    Episcopal School of Acadiana
    Cade, LA

• 9.  RE: Least conflicting rehearsal schedule?

Posted 09-19-2017 21:34
    I include the rehearsal schedule with the audition packet & ask students to list EVERY conflict. Then I take those conflicts into consideration when casting and am up front about that with students. If I cast them with listed conflicts they are excused and they are told that if a conflict arises that was not listed, then it is unexcused. Two unexcused absences & they are out of the play. There are exceptions if course and I deal with that on a case by case basis. No conflicts are allowed during tech week or production week. If there is an issue, they may not be cast again.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone