Open Forum

View Only

Teaching Film Studies?

• 1.  Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-07-2017 10:40
    Hello all! I am submitting a proposal to teach a film studies course and am curious if anyone teaches this currently and have a textbook that they would recommend? Any ideas on the class itself would be lovely! 
    Thanks!!

--
    Diana Driver
    NCHS Drama Director

• 2.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-07-2017 21:31
    I teach one and it is my favorite class. We do not have a textbook, per se, but I use an excellent book as a resource/reference. I just changed to a new one this year and of course I cannot remember the title. I will have to post again tomorrow when I can look it up.

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning center
    460 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-08-2017 01:32
    I LOVE FILM STUDIES!! I just moved to a new school so I don't teach one now but for the past couple of years I have taught a couple different versions to different grade levels.  

Last year I taught a semester long Steven Spielberg director-study that the 10-12th graders really enjoyed.  I am happy to share the information if you want.  

The year before that I did a genre-study with 9th graders (could easily be a different age group).  We studied Animation, Truth vs. Fiction, Action films, Foreign Films, Documentaries, etc.  Again I can share more if you want.

I also taught a quarter long overview with 7-8th graders.  We talked about silent films and then looked at the use of color and sound in The Wizard of Oz.  We watched Peter Pan (animated) and Finding Neverland, talking about how life influences fiction and "based on a true story" films.  We watched ET and talked about product placement.  They did a project with adding sound to a silent film as well.

I never used a textbook.  Good luck!

DeeNorman
    American School of Dubai
    MS Drama
    dnorman@asdubai.org

• 4.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-09-2017 07:55
    Hi! I would very much like your info on Film studies! Please email me so we can exchange emails and info! I would like to start offering the class within a year and need to get my ducks in a row. creaves24@aol.com
    Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you!
    Chris

Chris Reaves
    Theatre Director/ Fine Arts Chair
    Cedartown High School
    Cedartown Civic Arts Commission
    Cedartown, Georgia

• 5.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-09-2017 11:26
    I would very much like a copy also (max.dashner@dcs.edu).  I am in the midst of persuading my administration into letting me teach a film studies class also.  I was considering approaching it as the history of film...or possibly the most influential films.  

Max Dashner
    Director/Drama Teacher
    Decatur AL

• 6.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-10-2017 08:41
    Could I also request details on film studies? These genres sound great, and any book recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
    nemmons@gmail.com

Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    Nipomo, CA

• 7.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-10-2017 09:19
    I also teach Film Studies.  However, I never feel like I'm doing a very good job with that class.  Any ideas on lessons or resources anyone has would be so appreciated.  My email is: SGerling@cpsk12.org.

Thanks!

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 8.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-26-2017 14:39
    Has anyone received lessons/outlines/ideas from this thread?

Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    Nipomo CA

• 9.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-27-2017 03:14
    I have shared these with a couple of other people but figured I could put it out here.  I am by no means a great film teacher but if these help you get ideas or with something then, YAY!
    These are the grades I had things in but most could be shifted.

Grades 7-8--a 9 week class
    Grade 9--Semester class
    Grades 10-12--Semester class

DeeNorman
    American School of Dubai
    MS Drama
    dnorman@asdubai.org

• 10.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 02-27-2017 10:05
    Hello!!
    I taught film studies for a few years, unfortunately most of my stuff is in storage because I retired.
    I started with the very first film made and didn't do anything past the early 40's (might have been a couple exceptions).
    You'll be surprised what you'll find if you just google something like "classroom questions for Casablanca" or something similar. 
    This website is free and a great resource when teaching about a specific film: www.teachwithmovies.org

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 11.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 05-24-2017 17:30
    I would also love anything anyone has for Film Studies. I currently am in my second year teaching Film Studies and I love it, but would sure like to make it better. I am definitely green, but would be most happy to share anything I have used as well. swahlen@holynames-sea.org

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 12.  RE: Teaching Film Studies?

Posted 05-25-2017 08:59
    Hello,

I teach Film Studies (I decided to call the class "Film as Literature") in Illinois.  I've been developing the class over the course of many years and I feel it is a huge success.  I've been teaching some variation of this class for about 10 years.

I'm excited to share materials with anybody as I wouldn't have any idea what to do if teachers from Neuqua Valley HS in Naperville, IL hadn't first shared all of their materials with me.

The class is for seniors only and the real trick is making it an extremely challenging class for the students.  I feel validated when students, at the end of the 9 week term (we have block scheduling) say something akin to, "Mr. Casburn, your class has ruined watching movies for me...I have to THINK when I watch them now."  

We watch silent, black and white, foriegn, various genres and cap it all off with the extremely challenging trifecta of Blade Runner, Inception, and Citizen Kane.

Anyone who would like to discuss the Film as Lit process or needs any materials can email me at joshua.casburn@bps101.net

Joshua Casburn
    Elburn IL