Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  costume prop inventory

Posted 05-17-2020 19:43
    Anyone have a simple and easy way to categorize costumes and props? I have seen some online programs but they are not web based so I can't access the information from home if I needed to work from there on design. Thank you for any ideas that you might have. 

Be safe and be well!

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-18-2020 05:16
    I really like the app Asset Tiger. I have also used Evernote in the past as well. Both allow you to take pictures and right descriptions and can be accessed from your phone.

Jamaal K Solomon
    Director of Theatre
    Hagerty High School
    Oviedo, FL

Jamaal Solomon
    Winter Park FL

• 3.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-18-2020 09:42

What is the cost of these apps?  I looked and saw that both offer In-App purchases.  Do you find that you need those or are the basic functions enough for a High School Prop and Costume Shop?

Thanks,

Gary Hicks
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-18-2020 10:16
    Hi All!  Our costume inventory is organized in the following categories: Novelty, Culture, Fantasy, Period(general) and Shows.  We have collected alot of costumes over the years.  It is time to have a yard sale, or something, to make room for new collections.  I hope this helps.  

Tamara Altman
    Theatre Teacher
    Rock Hill School District
    Rock Hill SC

• 5.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-19-2020 07:00
    You can organize with Powerpoint.  Take a picture of each item and make a slide with a description (color, description, era, etc) so that you can search it by keyword.  If you keep your file on Google drive, it would be accessible from home.

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 6.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-20-2020 12:38
    I was very hopeful last summer, having connected with Stagestock. I was very into the idea that I would get all of our costumes, props, set pieces, and electronics tagged and inventoried. I was also interested in using it to catalog all of my scripts, technical manuals, textbooks, vocal selections, etc. I spent about 3 weeks scanning everything into a spreadsheet, researching replacement costs, determining quality, and taking photos. 

In the beginning, the rep that I was working with was very attentive. He answered emails quickly and even talked me through some things over the phone a couple of times. But when he realized that I was only going to do the 100-item trial before taking my results and reactions back to my boosters, I didn't hear from him again, except to push me off onto another rep who was less responsive than the first.

If someone figures out a good way to do this, I'd also be very interested. With phase 2 of the reopenings starting on Friday, I'm hopeful that we will get to the point where I'm allowed to be on campus so I can figure out the best way to get kids working on this when they are allowed to be on campus. And bonus--the reason our inventory is such a mess is because kids worked in partners and small groups to inventory the props and costumes, and their descriptions of "ugly red dress" and "vest that Jack wore" and "I don't know, some kind of wand thing," were less than helpful. Maybe if they have to be 6 feet apart, they'll be more focused :)

Jodi Disario
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 7.  RE: costume prop inventory

Posted 05-20-2020 12:56
    A few years ago I wrote a post in my blog about how we did it at a local community theater. It's probably more than you want to do, but might be worth looking into for ideas.

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/organizing-your-prop-collection/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net