Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-14-2017 13:19
    So, I've been at a new school for about a year and a half now. I have a couple of students who are officers and refuse to get on board with the direction our troupe and department has headed. They have tried to sabotage fundraisers by encouraging members not to participate, and when I've confronted them for not performing their duties in the troupe, they try to think of other ways to sabotage the troupe. They have even tried to audio record our conversation in hopes they can "catch me in a lie" or "catch me saying something rude/crude/vindictive. They are toxic to our program and our troupe. Is there an official process for moving forward with their removal of officers? Thanks for any advise.

------------------------------
    Brandon Triola
    Theatre Teacher
    Hilton Head, SC

• 2.  RE: Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-14-2017 14:36
    You could check your group's bylaws or constitution and see if there is anything about the process of removing officers. Otherwise, I would wave my magic wand, declare them no longer officers, and hold an election for new officers. I may also get admin involved so that you are all on the same page. Good luck!

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-15-2017 08:13
    ​Oh helllllllll no!
    I would remove them in a twilight candlelit ceremony so fast their heads would spin. They may be officers, but YOU are the troupe sponsor, and as such, responsible for the troupe and its direction and accountable to the members of the troupe. Does your troupe have a constitution? If not, I would draft one pronto and include in it that if for any reason elected officers attempt to disrupt, corrupt, or sabotage the troupe in any way that it is immediate cause for removal from the troupe. (NOT just "office" -- the troupe!) They MUST be held accountable for their horrendous actions, and your troupe members must see that YOU are the one in charge. If my officers ever did something like this to our troupe, they would be out.

Immediately.

Ritchie Jackson
    Theatre Director

• 4.  RE: Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-15-2017 09:05
    Hopefully your troupe constitution provides some guidance on this issue. If it does not, you should add it at the earliest possible convenience.

Ours has a very clear procedure on how to remove a student from office.

If you have not already done so, get the parents involved. If that does not help, seek out the advice and assistance of your building administration.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-15-2017 09:33
    Ditto to what is being said in the threads. They should be removed immediately (by laws or not).   I would probably try to sit with the students and the parents with guidance to let them know your expectations.  I always try to put the troupe and the students in a Win-Win conversation by doing this.  See if there is some compromise and agreement that can be made  BUT if they are not willing to play by your rules then they go.  The first few years at a school are always hard.  Make sure you are letting your administration know what is going on so that they are on board.

Jana Heyl
    White Plains MD

• 6.  RE: Process for removing thespian officers

Posted 11-16-2017 16:12

Each school handles student organizations and their officers a little differently. That's why ITS asks each school to codify troupe-specific rules, including those governing officers, in its own troupe constitution. The Troupe constitution template provides some common guidelines in the sample bylaws section, but they aren't binding unless formally adopted by the troupe.

If there's a troupe constitution in place, that would be the first place to start. If not, a little research into the student handbook or other school-wide guides for student organizations will help avoid pitfalls.

A troupe constitution should be followed whenever possible to ensure order and consistency; however, it doesn't necessarily bind the troupe director's options for addressing problematic behavior. The troupe director may override the constitution according to his/her best judgement as permitted or required by school policy. As others have already suggested, it's best to consult and work with your administration before taking action.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association