Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cleaning a Cyc??

Posted 10-08-2018 18:34

I'm totally in the dark with this one.  In the past we've always rented backdrops and cycs.  We don't have a fly system so the school doesn't own anything.  Our Drama Parents organization just purchased a used cyc for us.  The material is in good shape but it wouldn't hurt to be cleaned.  Does anyone know if this is something that can be done?  Again, never owning one, I have no idea.  

Thanks in advance for your replies.  
    BTW, it's 50' x 22'

------------------------------
    Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 2.  RE: Cleaning a Cyc??

Posted 10-09-2018 06:17
    The question is how is the cyc dirty? If there are stains that have been there a while they may not come out, if it is dust you can vacuum the drop with a canister vac. There may be stains that just will not go away. In this case I would treat this cyc like a drop, you can paint this , stretch, starch size lightly and paint with a white paint, remember to use a flame proofing additive to the paint.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Cleaning a Cyc??

Posted 10-09-2018 07:21
    It could probably be washed by hand in a large tub, but considering the size would have to be done in sections.  Then there's the question of drying it....?  I would probably just paint it with a 3 to 1 or even 5 to 1 dilution of scenic paint using a Hudson or pump sprayer.

Additionally, a call to Rose Brand or other drapery supplier would be a good idea as they might have a simpler solution.

Hope that helps.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC