Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little Women

Posted 02-17-2017 08:53
    Hello there...I am new to this forum, but I've seen the chats, so I thought I'd inquire with the collective brain trust! I am the director at a very small, Catholic, all-girls school in Michigan. In the past two years, I've built a drama program from 4 to 50+. We do not have a theater (school is 7-years young), but I have an awesome math teacher (and a wonderful father) who have built me a portable stage that we continue to grow. :) we have a limited number of 4x8 flats, no real "scenery" yet, but a talented group of visual art kids who've designed some great "pictures" to set the scene. I have only been able to do smaller, mostly unknown shows (only drama - our part time music teacher does not want to be involved in starting up the musical theater portion of "drama" - bummer), and my only budget is the revenue I bring in from ticket sales (and starting with my current production, small ad sales). Woe being said, I am going to attempt to do Little Women in the fall, and I am looking for any info I can get on how to go about the hunt for costumes. My limited closet certainly does not have anything to work with, and with no real "budget" and no enthusiastic drama parents (yet), I find myself in a pickle! I know I could go with "modern" time, original script, but I really need to liven it up and do an authentic piece! Lord knows, I've compromised enough!! Anyone out there with thoughts, donations (always for the donations), ideas, etc...is welcome to offer guidance! As well, let me know your favorite places to purchase scripts. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-17-2017 09:47

Hit up the local thrift stores. You'll find a lot of great pieces that you can modify and vintage clothing as well. Don't limit yourself to the big chain stores like Goodwill (but don't forget them either!). Find your local smaller thrift stores. That's where I usually find some of the best gems. And don't forget to ask if they have specific discount days or discounts for you as an educator. 

You can also contact the local colleges, universities, theatre companies and, possibly, other schools to see what sort of price they have on costume rentals. And hit up the members of your State Board. They should be able to steer you in the direction of a local costume rental store you may be able to use. 

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-18-2017 10:11
    My students staged Little Women in December and loved it!  We have only two or three costume pieces that look authentic for the time, so we used those for Marmee and Aunt March; as older women, they would be more apt to wear more era-appropriate clothing. For the sisters, we used high-necked blouses and floor-length skirts with leather belts. The girls wore leather flats or the flat ankle-boots that are in style now.

Elastic waist or drawstring waist skirts are easy to make. We have discovered the bargain of purchasing king-sized sheets at Goodwill for such projects -- that's a lot of fabric for only $1!

Rather than search out coats, we used crocheted yarn shawls or large wool scarves for any time the characters had to leave the house. 

For bonnets, do a Youtube search for how-to videos.  An era-appropriate hat can be created using a large straw sun hat you can pick up at Walmart or Target.

In the past, we have called upon a local historic plantation for help. They have re-enactors during the summer and often have numerous costumes available for loan.  Civil War re-enactors may also be of help.

Best wishes with your show!

Makala Witten
    CHS Blue Demon Drama Director
    Christiansburg VA

• 4.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-19-2017 10:54
      |   view attached
    I remember feeling panicked at how we would costume this show until I found some amazing curtains and shower curtains at the thrift store.  They had more body than bedsheets, and I figured if it was good enough for Scarlett O'Hara, it was good enough for us!  We also found a vest pattern that pulled them together and really helped them look more like the era.   

If at all possible, reach out to your parents and school community to see if you can find someone to help sew.  It takes someone with a bit of creativity to take apart a lacy shower curtain and put it back together again (the purple skirt on the right) and I couldn't have done this myself without help.

Best of luck!

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 5.  RE: Little Women

Posted 02-18-2017 12:03

I agree try colleges, little theatres, big theatres and they might be able to loan or rent costumes for your production. Contact a bridal store for hoop petticoats.  Give them a free ad in the program.  Tell them you will mention their store in the opening audience remarks. Same with a fabric store.  Does your school have any home ec or sewing classes.  Maybe they can make the dresses as a project.  (There are good patterns for civil war area in costume sections of Simplicity, Mccalls, Butterick patterns Don't go modern the piece won't work well.  

Hope all goes well for you and may all your theatre seats be filled,

​​​​​

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

Mesquite, Texas 75150