Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 11:13
    I have a local dance studio that uses my space (and helps itself to my supplies, equipment, etc) for about ten days in June, after school is out.  Does anyone have any kind of agreement form for this type of intrusion?  I really want to start using a written and signed agreement to continue what has become regular thing in the Summer.  Many thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Hudkins
    Falling Waters WV

• 2.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 11:42
      |   view attached
    Here is a copy of our facilities use request.  So far, it has covered most issues and those that rent the facility haven't really caused any problems.  (To be honest, most problems arise from faculty/staff/students that use the FAC.  We treat our gymnasium like sacred ground, but no one seems to bat an eye over misusing the FAC and its property.  But I digress...)

As far as groups using your materials, we don't have anything written in our agreement about that, but we do make it clear that those items are off limits.  We do not allow outside groups to use our costumes, set panels, props, tools and so on.  Groups are not allowed into the tech booth to do lights/sound unless they hire the tech director (me).  Otherwise, its a basic lighting plot that can be turned on backstage and basic sound (mics and a cable that can be plugged into a computer) are offered.

This arrangement has worked pretty well and avoids most issues.  For example, a family in town wanted to rent out the FAC and use our props, costumes, set pieces and so on.  It was made clear up front that if they wanted to use all of those items, it would need to be under the supervision of the tech director, pending availability of the tech director and at the tech director's hourly rate of $25.  They made other arrangements.  

Hope this helps.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 12:07
      |   view attached
    I've been working on the same thing. In case this helps, here's a list of rules I've put together for renters.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 12:39
    Words have power. Keep thinking of this dance company as an intrusion, and it will always seem like one.

On-paper agreements are great, and super useful when holding people to account.

Another great source of workability is to be a resource to others who use your space. You know the ins and outs of working in your space; you know where things are stored, what condition they are in, and how to care for them. You can actually save a lot of time and heartache, for you AND the dance company, by helping them out. In turn, they will see your commitment to the space and, hopefully, absorb a bit of your care and ideals for how to use it.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 13:07
    ​I love when we have dance studios use our space. We have three that hold their Spring recitals. I have a generic look programmed for the board. They pay a deposit for any damages and we have a set fee for the auditorium.

I love it because it gives the student technicians opportunity to practice and improve their craft.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-01-2018 13:16
    I'm going to make a baseless, rash statement and say that most likely the use of your materials is led by the mothers of the little darlings. After running a major theatre space I found that most professionals are considerate but the mothers just grab what they can if it's useful.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-02-2018 08:40
    Three suggestions all of which will be added time for you: 
    1) As others have said, put in writing what is on and off limits (as well as fees for usage, wear/tear of equipment, etc.)
    2) Either you or someone from your staff meet with the dance folks and tour the facility with them and show them what they may use and what is off limits.
    3) Use it as a teaching opportunity to help your tech theatre students learn and run the operation.

Above all, make sure they understand that you are a positive, supportive partner in their production.  I've found that kids, moms, and others unfamiliar with how a theatre operates are more willing to help keep things clean and tidy when they like and trust those in authority.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 8.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-02-2018 08:37
    We also set up a contract for our facility usage for any outside vendors (ie. dance studios, personal performances, traveling theatre companies, etc.) It helps with the "wear and tear" on the building as well as holding people accountable.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 9.  RE: Public us of Auditorium

Posted 05-02-2018 12:35

Some thoughts:

Are you expected to be preparing your space for this group? What about after they are finished? Are you essentially being given the responsibilities of a Theatre Manager?

Do they use the space on their own? Do you have catwalks they are allowed to access? Do you have a fly system they are allowed to use? Who site supervises and runs the equipment? If students crew the outside event, who supervises them?

Do they pay a rental fee to the district to use the space? If so, does this rental fee cover the pre- and post-management and supervision needed for the event?

How many school events do you have in your theatre all year – everything from a school meeting to your musical, and everything in between (concerts, variety shows, etc), and do any other schools in your district use your theatre? Are there any other outside events besides this annual dance studio long term rental – other dance recitals, churches, lectures, etc? Every time the theatre is used and even just one mic needs to be turned on and the production lights turned up, counts as an 'event'. 

Who is expected to prepare for these? Who restores everything back to rep after each event is completed? Who is in charge of safety and risk management for school events? 

These are just some rhetorical questions for you to consider. If you are running a 'one person show', it may be time to talk to your admin about this. Here's some previous discussions that may have some 'fodder' for you. Search for these topics:

Reserving Theatres and Working with Non-Theatre Events

Facility Management

Theatre Rentals

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO