Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Searching for jukebox musical

Posted 04-19-2019 08:21
    Wr do a "big" musical every other year- full orchestra, large cast and set requirements. On the opposite years we try to do something with more of a smaller bad, cast, etc. Meeting community standards can be challenging. We are currently looking at All Shook Up ( Elvis music).  Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Carrie Howell
    Allen TX

• 2.  RE: Searching for jukebox musical

Posted 04-19-2019 09:03
    Theatrical Rights has Breaking Up is Hard To Do (Neil Sedaka), an expanded edition of Beehive (60's pop), and a school edition of We Will Rock You (Queen). You could also look at Leader of the Pack from Samuel French.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Searching for jukebox musical

Posted 04-20-2019 12:13
    I directed All Shook Up a few years ago and it was well received.  It is basically Footloose, meets Twelfth Night all sung to Elvis music.  There is a weird racial twist at the end so you might have to consider your talent pool to see if you can cast it. Also their are two essential props that might be difficult to obtain: a motor cycle and a jukebox.

As for other jukebox musicals, I really want to direct Beautiful - anyone know when the rights will be available for that one?

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Searching for jukebox musical

Posted 04-20-2019 16:01
    I have to throw a pitch out for the little-produced gem of “Disaster!” by Seth Rudetsky and Jack Plotnik. It’s a send-up of the best of the worst 70’s disaster movies, including numerous…well…disasters, such as a fire, earthquakes, a tsunami, rat infestation, sharks and piranhas….you name it. Toss in both great and cringe-worthy songs from the 70’s and it has something for everyone.

“Disaster!” was challenging, mostly because I was brand new to directing high school musicals, and I didn’t have any idea what I was doing. But it was incredibly well received by audiences who loved seeing how their favorite songs from the 70’s were worked into the plot. It was also great that they didn’t use full versions of any of the songs, as it allowed there to be FIFTY-SEVEN fun 70’s musical memories. Even those who weren’t born during the 70’s…or even within 3 decades of them….loved the silliness and fun of the show.

The original director will send you instructions on how to create the technical effects in the show, creating a range of “we’re basically standing in front of flats asking you to suspend disbelief” to “yeah, we’re gonna flip the ship upside down now.” Those tips were the only things that kept me (nearly) sane during the process.

“Even when the dark comes crashing through-
    when you need a friend to carry you-
    when you’re broken on the ground-
    you will be found.”
    -“Dear Evan Hansen."

Disario, Jodi
    Drama/English teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 5.  RE: Searching for jukebox musical

Posted 04-26-2019 11:47
    I recommend Back to the '80s.  I honestly thought I would hate doing it when I chose it because of the thin plot and pop songs, but I needed to showcase several singers, and I needed a PG-rated jukebox musical for my conservative community.  In both cases, it fit the bill.  It was ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL.  It's cliche, but in a good way, and the songs are SOOOOOO fun.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS