Open Forum

View Only

Trap by Stephen Gregg

• 1.  Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-29-2019 07:53
    ​TRAP!  TRAP!  TRAP!!!  Stephen Gregg has created some amazing art with this play!
    I can't say enough about this show!!  I posted this in a thread regarding plays in the horror genre; however, I wanted to give it its own post.
    We played Trap this weekend to two delighted audiences.  I have never had a reaction like that from an audience.  They were literally screaming with delight and fear at the end.  The way we ran the end of the show leaves the audience alone in the house with the lights out and the music on and they were begging us to turn the lights on.  My cast RAN to the greenroom and were jumping up and down and screaming and celebrating!  They were totally jazzed up.  It was such an amazing experience for us.  They couldn't get over the audience's reaction to the end of the show.
    Most of my cast members said this was their favorite theatre experience ever and a few of my parents (who have been around for many years) said that this was the best show I've ever done.
    Stephen Gregg was also available via email to answer all of my questions regarding the show.  I had few; however, it was nice to know that he would actually answer a question if contacted.
    There is a good bit of tech involved with the show (lighting cues, sound effects, music (highly recommend the original scoring by Isaiah Hastings), we added fog to a few scenes); however, the sets can be quite minimal.  We used our band risers and ten wooden chairs.  There are many roles, and the script comes with suggestions for doubling and tripling parts.  I had  24 and it worked out really well. 
    Feel free to contact me if you are doing the show and have questions on how we did anything.  I LOVED THIS SHOW!!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 2.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-29-2019 10:55

One of our groups produced the show this fall. I too highly recommend it.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-30-2019 06:11

Amber, and the others performing Trap,

How would you identify the target audience for this show? Would you rate it PG13, or is it "family-friendly"? I am very interested, but want to make sure I know if this is something I should dissuade someone with an 8 year old from attending. 

Thank you for the recommendation! After "Almost, Maine" and "Murder's in the Heir", I needed something really different and this might just be it!

Jennifer Stover
    Director, Souhegan Drama
    Souhegan HS, Amherst NH

Jen Stover
    Director, Souhegan Drama
    Souhegan High School
    Amherst, NH

• 4.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-29-2019 11:30
    We are starting our first rehearsal tonight for Trap.  The kids went nuts at audition by the time we got to the end of the script.  I think its going to be a fun couple of months working on this...

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 5.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-30-2019 08:53
    Would this show be appropriate for middle school actors?  I looked at the list of productions, and noticed mostly high schools, but at least one junior high ....

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 6.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 04-30-2019 09:15
    Just realized that I can read the whole script online.  (Thank you, Playscripts!)  But I would still be interested in responses regarding middle school from those who have done the show.  

We do have quite a few 8th graders likely to audition ...

Thanks!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 7.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-08-2019 14:43
    Wanted to circle back on the issue of a middle school version of Trap. There have two middle school productions. For one of those productions I did make changes. 

I contacted Kristin and she's agreed to pilot a middle school Trap in the fall. Thanks to Ms. Hall for agreeing to produce it, and to this community for connecting us.

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 8.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-09-2019 04:58
    When will the middle school version of Trap be available for perusal?

[Christine DuBose
    Kerr Middle School
    Theatre Arts
    "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
    https://sites.google.com/a/bisdmail.net/kerr-theatre-arts/

• 9.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-10-2019 12:25
    Hi Christine,

There'll be a working draft of the middle school version by June 16th, or possibly sooner. You or anyone are welcome to message me directly through here and I'll zap it you. 

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 10.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 06-07-2019 17:05
    To those who have done Trap, what did you use for the chirp?  I'm having trouble conceptualizing this sound effect.

Thanks!

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 11.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 06-08-2019 08:58
    Hi! 
    So the description of the sound in the script was something like a gasp or a human sound or something like that. So, we made a recording of one of our actresses sort of breathing in like a gasp. But high pitched. It was perfect.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 12.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 06-08-2019 09:22
    We used Stephen’s description of being startled from the first monologue. It was the sound of quickly sucking in air. It was almost like a hiccup. We just used a phone to record the sound.

Sent from my iPhone
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is from the Olathe Public Schools. The message and any attachments may be confidential or privileged and are intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy or distribute this message or any attachments. We ask that you please delete this message and any attachments and notify the sender by return email or by phone (913) 780-7000.

• 13.  RE: Trap by Stephen Gregg

Posted 06-10-2019 14:22
    I've gotten the sound question several times myself. If you don't recognize the sound, that's good news for you, since it's what happens during sleep paralysis, which is a very occasional part of my life.  In my version, something bad approaches, slowly, and I need to move or at least yell, but I can't do it. As I try to thrash within the dream, I make small chirp-like noises outside of it. This sometimes wakes my husband enough to soothe me out of sleep. Most recently, however, this went wrong, and answered a question I had often wondered: Why don't you wake a sleepwalker? (THWACK! Poor Todd. He's fine.)  The sounds needn't be chirps. If you want to lean into the horror of the play, think of them as scratches or taps: the sounds made by 241 people buried alive.

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA