Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Has anyone had play published with Pioneer or other publishing companies?

Posted 11-15-2017 01:52
    I'm a playwright and want to find out what kind of experience anyone has had having their play published at publishing houses such as Pioneer or Samuel French? Are you satisfied with the residuals? Know of any publishing places accepting unsolicited manuscripts?

------------------------------
    Robert Hansen
    Monrovia CA

• 2.  RE: Has anyone had play published with Pioneer or other publishing companies?

Posted 11-25-2017 18:29
    Playscripts, Inc. used to accept unsolicited manuscripts--in fact, they began by soliciting them! I have one play in their catalogue. Other publishers have various submission rules, so it's best to visit each site individually.
    Most publishers want to know that your play has been performed - and directed by someone other than you.
    Those are the basics. Perhaps others can add more info.
    Good Luck!

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Has anyone had play published with Pioneer or other publishing companies?

Posted 11-26-2017 12:12

Pioneer and Samuel French are very different publishing houses. Pioneer specializes in plays for the youth market, while Samuel French has more of a focus on plays that were previously hits on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages (and typically headed to professional or community theatre producers). It's not to say schools don't produce them--obviously, they do--but the origins and ethos of the plays are very different.

Playscripts, which no longer accepts unsolicited scripts, has a bit of both, as does a publisher like Dramatic (which I believe still takes unsolicited submissions). Of course, there are also numerous play publishing houses that specialize in plays for teens/youth: YouthPLAYS (my own), Brooklyn Publishers (Heuer, their sister company, is more community-theatre oriented), Theatrefolk, Stage Partners, etc.--and I think they all take unsolicited scripts. We certainly do at YouthPLAYS, but we prefer plays that have been produced first, so that the playwright has an opportunity to road-test it and refine the play in front of an audience.

Royalties really vary, and just because you're with a quality publisher doesn't mean you're going to start raking in the cash. Sometimes one play will do well at a publisher, while another one won't--even though it's at the same publisher. It may be the subject matter, casting or production requirements, or just that one play got some good buzz and snowballed, while the other one got buried. Very often, this has nothing to do with one play actually being "better" than the other.

What I think many playwrights don't understand is that just because your play is published, it doesn't mean your job is done. The publisher will do some marketing of your play, but their larger concern is to market the brand (because a rising tide floats all boats). It's still up to you to market your play, whether that's through websites (yours or the play's), social media, an email list, etc. Successful playwrights (for better or worse) have to work as hard at marketing as they do on writing. Of course, none of that matters if the work isn't good. :-)

Robert, if you're not already, you should join the Dramatists Guild of America. I recommend that anyone who is serious about their writing become a member. Also, given that you're in Monrovia (i.e. in the LA area), I'd recommend joining the Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights, so that you can meet local playwrights and learn from their own experiences.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Has anyone had play published with Pioneer or other publishing companies?

Posted 11-27-2017 10:28
    I have 7 plays published through Brooklyn Publishing and Heuer Publishing (Sister Companies).  It is easy to submit your work because it is all done online.  One of my plays has been very successful and has had over 150 performances in the past 3 years, the others have all had several, as well.  You can also login to the site and see where and when your plays are being performed, which is a really nice feature.  They also give you 50 free copies so you can market your plays, in hopes of getting more performances. They do a good job of marketing through their yearly publication booklet, as well as, monthly email blasts and free scripts of the week.  Both have been a delight to work for.  If you have plays that are geared towards the middle school/high school or community theatre performers, then I recommend looking into these two publishers.

Richard Gremel
    Theatre Teacher
    Tucson AZ