Open Forum

View Only

Neil Simon

• 1.  Neil Simon

Posted 09-28-2021 06:47
    Greetings!
    I am a Neil Simon fan and over the past few years my HS students performed Rumors and The Odd Couple. I am looking for something in the same lines...fast-paced...great dialogue... any suggestions besides another Neil Simon play?

Thank you! :)
    Marta Carvalho

Secondary Drama and Musical Theatre Director
    Carlucci American International School of Lisbon, Portugal

------------------------------
    Marta Carvalho

• 2.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 09-29-2021 11:09
    You may want to check out:
    The Curious Savage
    A Bad Year for Tomatoes
    Noises Off

All great comedic plays with some interesting characters, our students and audiences loved them.

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School

• 3.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-01-2021 04:06
    Thanks for your reply!
    We've done The Curious Savage. I will check out A Bad Year for Tomatoes! I've always been interested in Noises Off but the sexual part would not be accepted by my admin... is it possible to get around it?

Marta Carvalho

• 4.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-02-2021 10:42
    Play On! Is similar to Noises Off-but but much cleaner if I’m recalling correctly.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 02:41
    I second Play On! It is absolutely hilarious and can be modified in a lot of different ways for different groups (i.e. additional characters, different genders....etc.) I've done it 3 times over 30 years!

--
    Kelley Marchant
    MYP Coordinator/Theatre Teacher
    The American School of Kinshasa

• 6.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 07:15
    Thanks for your reply. I have narrowed down my list and Play On! is on it. :)

Marta Carvalho

• 7.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 10:17
    We did Play On! for our first production with my high school troupe. Wonderful show and we didn't have any issues with content.

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown High School
    KY

• 8.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-01-2021 04:08
    Thanks for your reply!
    We've done The Curious Savage. I will check out A Bad Year for Tomatoes! I've always been interested in Noises Off but the sexual part would not be accepted by my admin... is it possible to get around it?

Marta Carvalho

• 9.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 09-29-2021 17:03
    My students thoroughly enjoyed Play On! by Rick Abbot.  The opportunities for physical comedy reminded me of Neil Simon's Fools!  It was published by Samuel French, so Concord Theatricals has the rights now.  7F/3M

CJ

• 10.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-01-2021 04:11
    After reading your post, I read Fools! and I loved it...but I think admin wouldn't be happy if I did one more Neil Simon play... I read briefly about Play On!, and I was wondering if there is enough of a plot...

Marta Carvalho

• 11.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-02-2021 07:36
    I am a huge Neil Simon fan, too! You will have to get to FOOLS down the line. Have you ever considered trying some of the older classics like YOU CAN'T IT WITH YOU!?! Such a great show with so many zany characters. Best of luck to you!
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 12.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 07:13

You Can't Take It With You was one of my first ones... great show! I've narrowed my choices to:
    Fools!

Play On!

Sense and Sensibility, adaptation by Kate Hamill

And maybeee Noises Off

Marta Carvalho

• 13.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 08:37
    Marta, Play On! is about a community theatre that decides to produce a local woman's first playwriting attempt because it will be cheaper.  (Can we relate?)  Unfortunately, the writer, and I use that term loosely, keeps tweaking the play during rehearsal.  Tensions within the cast are exacerbated by tensions with the writer and the production careens toward opening night--which is a disaster of epic proportions. 

Unlike Noises Off, this script does not require a revolving set.  It needs a simple box set that gets things added as the "rehearsals" progress.  For instance, we went from folding chairs for the first rehearsal to a couch and chair for the "performance."  The stagehand character added curtains, plants, other furniture, etc.

We found plenty of room for creative ideas beyond what was suggested on the script pages.  Some of my students had been asking to do a show in British accents--egad!--so I let them use British accents for the play within the play.  Were the accents bad?  Of course!  Did it matter?  Not a whit!  The opportunities for physical comedy in the latter part of the play are boundless.  A gun is required for the play within a play, but we used one we cut out of wood, and it looked hilarious.   

In short, we had a great time with the play.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC

• 14.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-04-2021 09:45
    Thank you, CJ. I actually just sent the PO this morning. I narrowed down the list and ordered:

Fools!

Play On!

Sense and Sensibility, adaptation by Kate Hamill

It's crazy how I have this year's productions but I'm already excited about next year's! :)

Marta Carvalho
    Drama Director
    Carlucci American International School of Lisbon, Portugal

• 15.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 09-30-2021 06:08
    Hi
    Have you read FOOLS?  It's fast paced and very witty.

Amanda

Amanda Dierking
    Drama Director
    Minneola Charter School

• 16.  RE: Neil Simon

Posted 10-01-2021 04:12
    Thanks for your reply. I actually just read it yesterday after reading everyone's replies. I loved it! However, admin probably wouldn't be happy if I did one more Neil Simon play...

Marta Carvalho