Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Wizard of Oz

Posted 02-27-2018 15:06
    I'm looking for ideas on special effects for a few scenes in The Wizard of Oz. Mostly I'm needing ideas for:
    - Wicked Witch throwing fireball at Scarecrow
    - Wicked Witch's broom catching on fire
    - Auntie Em's head appearing in the crystal ball
    If you have some ideas, please throw them my way. Thank you!

--
    Kayla Jo Seybold
    West Washington Jr./Sr High School
    English Teacher
    Drama Club Sponsor

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege.  This E-mail and any attachments may include confidential student information and/or information protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this E-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. 
    Thank you. West Washington School Corporation

• 2.  RE: The Wizard of Oz

Posted 02-28-2018 06:14
    Fire at Scarecrow - you could do this with a followspot or ellipsoidal, use an iris or make a gobo the size you want, have a person run the throw with the fixture.

The broom on fire is more difficult, you could attach a battery powered flame torch to the broom and switch it on, might or might not work.

you could use a clear globe and have Em under the table putting her head into the ball

------------------------------
    Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: The Wizard of Oz

Posted 02-28-2018 09:23
    ​We attached a Gerb (spark shower effect) to the head of the broom that was triggered with a battery and push button and flashpot for the scarecrow. The sparks flew out of tip of the broom and the flashpot went off. Very cool effect.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School