Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Laramie Project

Posted 07-21-2017 09:36
    I am considering directing The Laramie Project this year and would appreciate any character-cast breakdown information anyone might have used to cast approximately 20-25 students in the play. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Laramie Project

Posted 07-22-2017 11:19
    I just did Laramie project this past Spring. A very powerful experience for everyone involved. Tectonic Theatre was very kind about sharing resources with us, but the greatest help we received was from the Matthew Shepard Foundation. They sent visuals to use as slides, discussion points to use with the cast and with audiences. There were so many resources I couldn't use them all, but I had great material all the way around.  
    The casting is really flexible. I had 14. It can be done with as few as 8 or as many as 40. I've attached the character descriptions and how I broke it down. There is a pretty extensive list in the trade paperback edition of the script which includes descriptions.  I would be happy to share other resources as well. 
    Since we are so close to Laramie, we were able to take a trip up there and my students could get a sense of the place. Also the Shepard Foundation has their offices here in Denver, so one of their representatives came to the show.  Goosebumps.

------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Laramie Project

Posted 07-23-2017 07:25
    This is very helpful. Thank you, Scott!

Dawn DeMaio
    Theater Teacher/ Director
    GW Hewlett High School
    Hewlett, NY

• 4.  RE: Laramie Project

Posted 07-24-2017 10:12
      |   view attached
    I got this from another teacher who produced the play last year. It fits more within the size of my program.  It uses 11 males and 11 females.

Tobin Strader
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair,
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School,
    Indianapolis, IN

Attachment(s)

pdf
    CastBreakdown.pdf   104 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Laramie Project

Posted 07-25-2017 10:05
    Thank you for this helpful character breakdown!

Dawn DeMaio
    Theater Teacher/ Director
    GW Hewlett High School
    Hewlett, NY