Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-26-2019 10:07
    I just wanted to share how grateful I am to be a part of the Educational Theatre Association, as well as the Georgia Thespians. My first five years of teaching drama and directing shows, I was on my own, with no close contacts to reach out to for help. I built a program from the ground up, going in blind. This association, even this discussion board, has help me grow so much as a director and department head, and has helped me better educate my students in the field.  

This past weekend, I had the chance to go to the Georgia Theatre Educators Conference. While it was my first, this was the third year of the conference, and I want to compliment the Georgia Chapter on their professionalism and organization of this conference (as well as our student Thespian conference in the spring), I brag about these events to every other education/professional development organizer I meet.  Thank you to Paul Hampton, the Chapter Director, and his board, for providing a two day opportunity to reach out to other educators (in an environment where we are not chasing around our students).  If your state does not offer this to your state educators, it is time to contact your chapter director! 

Furthermore, thanks to all of you, the leaders of this association, the state chapter directors, the troupe directors, even those who are like me, offering the best of your limited knowledge to those seeking help on this board. And thank you all, ultimately, for investing time in our beloved drama "nerd" children, who are all just seeking means of positive expression. 

Happy Monday, and Happy Directing!

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 2.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-26-2019 13:38
    Thank you for your kind words.  It is great to hear that this conference is making a difference in the lives of our teachers and their students.  This year we had over 180 attendees which included senior and middle school troupe directors and teachers but also  elementary teachers and professional members.  We hope to continues to grow this event for our teachers, but if any teacher from other states would like to attend next year just reach out to me.  We would love to share our southern hospitality!

Paul Hampton
    State Director of Georgia
    Columbus GA

• 3.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-27-2019 09:17
    This is such a lovely post!  We are doing our first teacher PD in a couple months here in Nebraska.  Can you elaborate on what you loved the MOST about the Georgia event?  Other than their incredible board?  What do you think Nebraska should be SURE to offer our teachers so they walk away from the day feeling like you did?

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-27-2019 11:09
    We had two full keynote sessions with guest speakers, who were incredible and offered two different takes on our professions, while still in the theme of "Your Voice". One spoke on the importance of empowering our students, even through tragedy to use their voice, and the other on how we as professionals are to use our voice through servant leadership. 

We also had several breakout sessions throughout the day.  I really appreciated that a large variety of classes were offered. This was perfect for me because I wear all of the hats of my department.  I attended sessions on Licensing with an MTI rep, Basic musical theatre dance, stage Makeup color matching, acting through Impulses through the Viewpoint theory, and Wonderful World of Worbla for costuming.  There were also classes on aligning curriculum with state standards, but since I am strictly after school now, I opted out of these.  But, wow, at the benefit of what this would have been as a classroom teacher!  We also had lunches on site, where attendees were encouraged to sit with those of their school level, and a reception. I coincidentally kept running into teachers from my own area of the state, whom I had not met before! I would say my favorite highlight of the weekend was the ability to gain knowledge in all my "hats".  Those wearing less hats, could attend more than one class in that area, at least two classes were offered in each area. Vendors of all sorts including conference sponsors were available throughout the day to visit in a designated space. (I bothered the Norcosto folks quite a bit). Board members were also available at the registration desk throughout the conference, which was great for my question regarding student thespian conference registration later this year. 

We were greeted at registration with neck-lanyards, a notebook, a tote, a really nice pen, a sample Drama Game book from Theatrefolk, and snacks!! I would have felt like an absolute princess if we also had received a "Georgia Teacher Educator" t-shirt, but I don't want to be greedy, or anything. 

But the winner of the prize goes to Brian Curl and his 12 Step Dance Class. He broke choreography down so well, I immediately came home and was able to improve my instruction for my super non-experienced cast. He even had my team mom-now drama assistant dancing, and she swore on the way to the conference I would not have her do such. I wanted to just put him in my pocket and steal him for my club!

https://briancurl.wixsite.com/mysite

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 5.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-27-2019 11:17
    Thank you! Absolutely wonderful.  We are thrilled to have Brian as our guest artist for our State festival later this school year!  These are great ideas. We plan to start small- but all teachers deserve to be treated like royalty every once in a while!!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-27-2019 14:51
    Hi Brooke,
    Just some quick advice from my point of view that helped our Georgia EdCon be successful:

• Survey your teachers to find out their needs. You may discover that your needs are very different than theirs.
    • Teachers want to learn new things, and they want to learn how to do the same things in a different (improved) way. Consider this putting your workshops together.
    • Make this teacher event feel different than your student event. Use different guest artists and presenters.
    • Establish a committee that can dedicate their time to this event. Your committee members can be from the student conference, if they have the time to do both.
    • Define the "WHY" you want to have this event for your teachers, and capture the WHY your teachers need it. These will help guide your decision making process along the way.
    • Plan a realistic budget and don't be afraid to lose money if you can afford to. The student conferences bring in more money, and you can take some of that money to put back into your other programs (events) while these newer programs mature.
    • Make your teacher conferences fun for your teachers. Remember: these are student-free zones and your teachers will want to socialize with other teachers. A great networking opportunity for them.
    • Create a marketing flier for the event and distribute to your teachers' principals and fine arts coordinators. You want to impress these administrators so they can help find the funds to pay for their teachers to attend your event.

All the best, and good luck!!

Eric Ebell
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Shout Out to Georgia Thespians

Posted 08-27-2019 16:09
    Thank you Eric!  All Very helpful!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE