Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Flowers for Algernon - Sensitivity

Posted 05-19-2018 16:24
    I'm considering Flowers for Algernon for the Fall, but being a product of its time, there's some ugly references to the intellectually disabled as "retarded", "morons", "dummies". I want to stage the show in it's intended time period, which would certainly account for many of these outdated ideas, but I want to be sensitive - being a public school, we have students with significant intellectual disabilities that I don't want to hurt or offend. The young man I am considering for Charlie is a very kind and sensitive young man; so I feel confident that he will handle the character with grace and not make a caricature out of it.

Anyone had any issues or concerns producing this show? How did you handle some of the more insensitive material?

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 2.  RE: Flowers for Algernon - Sensitivity

Posted 05-24-2018 09:46
    We actually did this show in the fall and it went over very well.  We omitted or politically corrected the terms when it came from Alice or another supporter of Charlie.  We allowed his "friends" (Joe and Frank) to call him those terms since it was out of contempt.  It added to the effect of how some people, even in our own communities, may be treated.  We also had a discussion about using the word "retard" so casually in our contemporary society...it was well received.  

Good luck!  It's a beautiful show.

Lia DiFonzo
    Director/Teacher
    Sterling Heights MI