Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Negotiating Racial Stereotypes

Posted 04-20-2018 11:18
    Hello! I am an undergrad majoring in Theatre Education at Ball State University, and I am curious about something. In one of my classes, we discussed the use of racial stereotypes and cultural appropriation in theatre, not that anyone would do these things voluntarily but because they are written into plays. So, I am curious how theatre educators can go about avoiding racial stereotypes or cultural appropriation and still do shows like Thoroughly Modern Millie (actress in yellow face) or Annie Get Your Gun (appropriation of Native American culture)? I would appreciate any insight on this matter.

------------------------------
    Cassandra Buescher
    Muncie, IN

• 2.  RE: Negotiating Racial Stereotypes

Posted 04-21-2018 07:54
    Tact is everything. The goal for performers is to meet your audience where they are and show them some new perspective. By that very nature, the arts will always offend someone. Whether that offense has a name or not is meaningless. In my humble opinion, the arts should open our eyes, ears, and hearts while thickening our skin.

Now, like you said, intent is important: you wouldn't stage The Producers because you want to pay tribute to the Third Reich, and you wouldn't show West Side Story to pit native-born citizens versus immigrants. Both of these shows have valuable lessons for us to learn decades after their creation even though both use race as a mechanism to teach it.

I would apply these challenges to any script I consider for school use: Is this good theatre? Is this age appropriate for my group? What controversial material is embedded in the script? Is this material critical to the storyline of the show? How does the plot resolve the controversy?

I hope this helps!

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 3.  RE: Negotiating Racial Stereotypes

Posted 04-21-2018 13:39
    I teach in a very diverse school. Nearly 30% each Black, latinX, and white (nearly half the whites are Jewish) and a growing Middle-Eastern population and a decent percentage of Asian students as well. That said, I avoid play that are about race. It dictates the casting. Hairspray, fences, etc. great plays, but the actor really must be cast appropriately to the race of the character. However I use selections from these in classes all the time.
    Instead I choose plays and musicals for the main stage which allow me to cast racially blind. In our current production of Arsenic and Old Lace, one of the aunts is Black, the other white. Of the nephews, we have one white, one Black, and one Asian. Perhaps the first Asian Roosevelt.
    Earlier this year we did Annie. Rooster and Grace were redheads, Annie Greek, Hannigan and Bert Healy were Black.
    The point is this, I cast the best actor for the part regardless of race or gender. Romeo was a girl, Juliet was Asian. It was not a Lesbian or mixed relationship statement, they were simply the best actors for the parts of those who auditioned.
    By choosing shows which are not about or dependent on race, I can cast students as best befits their talents.

But sometimes we want to do a classic like Anything Goes. Reno was Black. No problem. It’s the comic relief characters of the Chinese gamblers. I loathe their portrayal in the script. I had two Chinese girls in the cast, one was an Angel, the other in the chorus. I had two white girls play the Chinese men. In had the Chinese cast members work with them on pronunciation and helping costuming to assure authenticity in the outfits. I then had a student make a statement as part of the curtain speech explaining our separation from the views shown by the portrayal of the characters and how the show selection was about the music and not about race.

---------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO
    ---------------------------------