Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-04-2017 11:43

I have to cast the role of MR. TOAD in the musical play, The Wind in the Willows. I have a 10 year old boy (Eli) and a 10 year old girl (Selby), both of whom could play the role. The young boy would probably portray the role better. I'm not sure whom I should cast. I'll give you the particulars:
    1. Eli played the lead last year in JACK AND THE BEANSTALK. (Jack)
    2. Selby played the mother (a much smaller role last year).
    3. Both have played smaller roles in previous years.
    4. Eli played Peter Pan in his school in California last year.
    5. There are 3 other roles just a bit smaller than Mr. Toad in this show (Badger, Mole, and Rat). Either child could play one of those roles as well, and they are still major roles in the show.
    6. Selby wrote down Mr. Toad as the role she would most like to play, while Eli wrote down Rat as the role he would most like to play. However, Eli may be a bit conscious that he's been getting the leading roles lately and might not want to ostracize himself from the rest of the children. He might also secretly want to play Mr. Toad.

Again, either child can do a good job in the role - but there is the concern about Eli getting the plum roles often. But Eli would do the better job. Both are direct-able and both are well-behaved.

And, I'm not in the least worried about casting a young girl to play Mr. Toad.

Taking the information I've given you, what would be your "gut" decision? Who would you be inclined to cast in the role?

Thanks for taking the time to respond,
    Stan

--
    1862 Happy Lane

--
    1862 Happy Lane
    Apt. #30
    Eugene, OR 97401

(541) 357-5030 (Home)

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him."   Bayard Rustin

• 2.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 06:38
    Hello,

I know many of us feel your pain.  Thanks for the details.  I would go with the girl.  It sounds like she has done good work in past productions.  The tone of your email says to me that you would like to give her this opportunity.   This is educational theatre..     Give her a chance and the boy said he was interested in Rat.  

I am retired now but directing some in community theatre and it never gets easy , does it?  I know that with students it is even tougher, but I would give her a chance.
    They are lucky to have such a thoughtful and caring teacher.

Break a leg,

Jan Jensen

------------------------------
    Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA

• 3.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 08:04
    ​Good morning,

I agree with Jan. Sounds like your gut is telling you correctly.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 09:18
    Ugh! I feel this dilemma.  On the outside, it is very easy to say I would go with the girl.  You expressed concern that Eli might be beginning to feel on the outside because he is often the lead.  Sometimes it is harder not to be the lead because there is less information about the character.  Challenge Eli as an artist to be in a supporting role. Also, this might allow him to spend a little more time with his friends. He might genuinely want to be Rat, too.  I think respecting their wishes in their roles is important if you ask for their input. 

Ten years from now, they might not remember who had which role, but they will remember the positive community you made for them.  Give the girl a chance, and she may surprise you!

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 5.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 10:46
    I'd give it to the girl so that you then have two fantastic actors with lead experience moving on! Perhaps have the boy understudy? And do rat? It's good he wanted another role. It shows he wants to do character roles as well as leads. Great instincts for long term skills! I had a similar issue with a senior and junior this year for 39 Steps, and bothargued that the junior should get the lead to stretch his skills, while the senior played multiple smaller roles. They were both fantastic in the end, even though my instinct was to cast the other way around.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 11:12
    I don't think you have a dilemma at all. You stated several times that Eli was better for Mr. Toad. So he should play Mr. Toad. I never worry about the perception that certain students get certain roles. #1 I have to choose shows to fit my students, I don't choose students to fit my shows. So I generally pre-cast my shows when I'm selecting them. #2 I would never punish a student for being good, and possibly the best.

I had a student who was a bona fide tripple threat. When he auditioned for shows, he'd always pick minor or supporting characters. It was ridiculous. His last show with me, which was Peter Pan, I told him "You're playing Peter, don't even waste your time thinking of another character to play." They don't always know, and as you said, they may be worried about perception, or they may even be scared. You're the directer and the teacher. It's your job to guide them in the direction that is going to be their best.

Ultimately, students who want to perform just want to perform. They may be disappointed at first, but they rise to the occasion and fully engross themselves in whatever role they are cast. Don't feel the need to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Students need to experience disappointment and rebound from it. That's how we teach resilience.

When in doubt, hold auditions. Good luck. Keep the faith.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 7.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 11:47
    Thanks to all of you for your input. You gave some really good advice to think about. Most of what was said, I agree with. It helps so much to hear others say what you're thinking.

Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 8.  RE: Casting Problem for Wind in the Willows

Posted 07-05-2017 14:02
    Cast who is best for the role. Big parts? Small parts? It doesn't matter. It's all about the process.