Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  course description for tech class

Posted 01-18-2018 11:04

I am wanting to add a technical theater and design class, but I have no shop or space set aside. I have a class room with a stage and some storage space. I want this class to be able to do the design and construction for the spring play second semester. Currently, I have a Drama 1 class and Drama II-IV are all together. So I have crews that work on the production at the same time we rehearse the spring play in class. Can anyone share a course description for their class that can be done without a scene or costume shop? 

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 2.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-18-2018 13:05
    H, Amy,

Just so we're all clear... do you want to:

Teach set, lighting, costume, and sound design plus construction, hanging/focusing/control, sewing, and so forth, in one semester so the class can do it all for a show the following semester;

or

Teach all that plus have the class do it for a show, all in the same semester?

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 3.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-19-2018 08:37

We do not have a fly system and would not do much construction, hanging/focusing/control, sewing. I want to focus on scenic design, costume design, lighting and sound. This class would be a full year, where students learn how to design and execute the first semester and then work on the spring production. Thanks.

Amy Sando,
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 4.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-18-2018 14:50

Some food for thought about having a tech class. Kudos to you for wanting to officially add this class, especially with your space limitations! However, one thing you said caught my eye, which was "I have crews that work on the production at the same time we rehearse the spring play in class." From this it sounded like your students would be using hand tools, power tools, paints, hanging lights, using the fly system (if you have one?) without supervision???

Please know that the Department of Labor and Industries says, for safety reasons, that no minor shall be doing the type of labor we do in tech theatre (using power tools, working at heights, working with 'hoisting equipment', and so on) unless they are in a bona fide vocational program. In our case, a CTE class.

Tech theatre is a CTE subject. Your admin may not be aware that according to the Department of Labor and Industries, everyone should have a certified tech theatre teacher (with a CTE endorsement on their teaching certificate – not just someone who is 'knowledgable' – which is too often the norm I'm afraid).  Regardless of the space the students are working in, no minor should be performing the activities that we all have them do in the theatre without being in a bona fide vocational program.

Given that, my 'food for thought' for you is: will the class be a stand-alone class where the students are supervised at all times? Will the school support you in getting your CTE certification, or alternately hiring someone who is 'highly qualified' to teach tech theatre?

All the best with your journey - it will be worth it!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (still accepting new students for this cohort through the end of January! - please inquire).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 5.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-18-2018 15:09

Thanks for responding. We do not have a fly system, so students don't work at heights or with that type of equipment. We have a stage in my classroom. I choose plays that are generally simple to stage.  We do paint. When I have set pieces that need to be built the set crew from our local community theater comes in to teach students as a guest speaker, and he handles the power tools. I have talked to admin about CTE certification and would hope that could move forward. 

Amy Sando,
    782-5136

• 6.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-18-2018 15:27

That's awesome that the local community theatre is involved! It sounds like you are on your way to creating a great program. If you need help talking with your admin about high school theatre operations please let me know!

All the best!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (still accepting new students for this cohort through the end of January! - please inquire).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 7.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-19-2018 08:52
    Hi,

Here are course descriptions from our Curriculum Guide:

TECHNICAL THEATRE (FULL YEAR) GRADES 9-12 (4244) Technical Theatre is a broad-based course designed to give students an overall view of the various elements of the craft. Students will attain an understanding of the technical aspects of theatrical production through "hands-on" experience. Areas to be studied include lighting design and execution, scenic design and execution, set constructtion techniques,scenic painting, rigging, stage make-up, costuming, sound reinforcement, stage and house management, advertising and script analysis. Students will also gain an understanding of the interdisciplinary aspects of technical theatre as regards language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and various technologies. Additionally, students will gain an understanding of career opportunities within theatre and entertainment technology and further their understanding of the importance of audience development and the role of community support in theater. Students will participate on class crews and will be encouraged to participate in extracurricular school productions. NOTE: Two hours of lab time per 9 weeks is required in addition to regular class time. Prerequisite: None 2 CREDITS

ADVANCED TECHNICAL THEATRE (FULL YEAR) GRADES 10-12 (4252) Advanced Technical Theatre is a continuation of Technical Theatre. Students participating in the course will further their understanding of costuming, makeup, scenic design, lighting and sound design and execution, stage and house management, advertising, script analysis and will complete a comprehensive , individual design project each semester. Students will participate on class crews and are encouraged to participate in extracurricular school productions. Students will also comprise the production staff and crew for the MVHS Performing Arts Center and will assume leadership roles within technical theatre including the mentoring of Beginning Technical Theatre students. Students will also gain an understanding of the interdisciplinary aspects of technical theatre as regards language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and various technologies. Additionally, students will gain an understanding of career opportunities within theatre and entertainment technology and further their understanding of the importance of audience development and the role of community support in theatre. Students will participate on class crews and will be encouraged to participate in extracurricular school productions. NOTE: Two hours of lab time per 9 weeks is required in addition to regular class time. Prerequisite: A minimum of a "C" average in Beginning Technical Theatre, and maintenance of a "C" average in Advanced Technical Theatre for continuing in the class for successive semesters. 2 CREDITS

In Indiana, Technical Theatre falls under the Fine Arts umbrella. 

Hope this helps.

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 8.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-19-2018 13:41
    Hi, Amy,

I can't help at all with a syllabus (since I don't teach), but you might be able to find some content ideas on my blog, at www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 9.  RE: course description for tech class

Posted 01-19-2018 15:01
      |   view attached
    I am attaching my tech theatre syllabus. I had to go mostly design route as I taught it in a classroom and I have no equipment or space to build.
    Let me know if you have questions!

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

Attachment(s)