Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-11-2018 14:53
    Colleagues - I am going to be teaching a semester-long Intro to Improv class this spring. While improv has never been my strongest suit, I do have an overall plan for the class. However, I'd still be interested in hearing about your favorite improv activity or warm-up so that I can vary what I do with the students. I'd love to have a few extra tricks up my sleeve to keep the class engaged and focused on building their skills. My thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 2.  RE: Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-11-2018 15:11
    I put some packets in the library from my classes at ITF last summer. There are a lot of options in them. Enjoy!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-11-2018 16:34
    The Living Playbook is a great resource. There is also the iProv TNG app (on iOS) too, which is fun

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-12-2018 14:18
    I love the activities on the Improv Encyclopedia.

Arden Thomas
    Teaching Artist, Theater
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 5.  RE: Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-20-2018 15:49
    Improv As Improv Does Best is an excellent resource. Patrick Gantz has been doing improve for decades.. his website provides common improvisational games/warm-ups, developed curriculums, and general tips on improv theory and instruction. I'd highly recommend- great for gathering ideas for your class!

Patrick Browne
    Performing Arts Lead | Multnomah Arts Center
    Portland, OR
    http://www.multnomahartscenter.org/

• 6.  RE: Improv Activities / Prompts

Posted 01-22-2018 11:16
    I have way too many to list and don't have them compiled anywhere written down.  However, one of my favorite resources is this book:  

Improv Ideas: A Book of Games and Lists
    Amazon remove preview
    Improv Ideas: A Book of Games and Lists
    This book is perfect jam-packed with games and lists, it's also the most user-friendly book we've ever seen! Who knows what you'll love more? Maybe it will be the clean layout that specifies space prep minutes, player prep minutes, performance minutes, and number of players for every single game....
    View this on Amazon >

I don't even use it for the games (maybe sometimes) - but it has some fantastic lists in there (along with a CD to print the suggestion slips with ease.  The lists are fantastic though.  

I also spent some time this summer making a little index file with a variety of topics and cards for each topic (ie, locations, relationships, etc.).  I keep them on hand for quickly doing scenes/activities.  

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC