Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-29-2017 21:22
    I have a student that was active in her former school.  She was not inducted at that school.  Can she apply roles, crew jobs etc. from that school toward points at my school?

------------------------------
    Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 2.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 08:23
    Great question! Absolutely apply them! I usually reach out to the previous director to verify the theatre resume and thespian activity of the student. If they did the work, they keep the points. 

Cheers,

William Eyerly
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 3.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 09:19
    I have accepted points from other schools for transplanted students. However, the Thespian Director at their former school must provide a number of points. Unfortunately, they are not always prepared to supply that number which is a great disappointment to the student.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 09:22

Tracy,

You have an obligation to "bring forward" their points - as well as transfer their membership if they were a member (form is availible at Transfer membership - International Thespian Society

Schooltheatre remove preview
    Transfer membership - International Thespian Society
    View this on Schooltheatre >

As you stated they were not inducted you still should make all effort to contact the former sponsor as you will often find the student forgot something they should get points for!  Its a great way to get to know our other awesome sponsors - and get the paperwork done for international.  All troupes are "in this together" where we are all raising the next generation of theater professionals!

Glad you got a newby that isn't!

)

Robert Holter
    Helena MT

• 5.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 10:08
    Tracey,

We actually have a partnership with some of the local thespian chapters in our area, and I have dealt with this situation before so maybe I can be of some help.

For quality control purposes, I would advise you to contact your student's previous director and verify any previous experience that the student is coming to you with (such as working tech or as a performer for shows). They may either be able to supply you with their point records or you can use your best judgement as to what you believe that student should have. I follow the point guide on the main site, and if their previous work is verified by their previous director, I assign points to honor previous work they had accomplished. Being that thespian points are supposed to be a standard for all of us, it has never been a problem transitioning these particular situations into my records.

I hope this helps!

-Ben

--
    Benjamin Toth
    Midview High School
    Theatre Director
    (440) 452 3419

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, and your response to it, may constitute a
    public record under O.R.C. §149.43. This message may contain personally identifiable
    information about public school students under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,
    20 U.S.C. § 1232g. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or the taking of
    any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this message is strictly
    prohibited. All messages sent, received or stored on Midview Local School District Board of
    Education equipment are the property of the Board, may be accessed and inspected by the Board
    at any time, with or without cause, and may be subject to the Board's records retention policy.

• 6.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 10:44
    As others stated, reach out to their previous troupe director. Be persistent; in my experience, they're not always initially responsive. In one case, reflecting back on the communication I had with one particular student who proved to be an absolute nightmare scenario kid (bless her), pay close attention to how they word their comments about the student. Nobody wants to give a negative reference, of course, just like a job application, but if you're being asked for a job reference, there is a way of not totally giving a ringing endorsement that isn't especially negative...

...that's rare, though. I'm certain that in the other 99% of cases, everything's kosher. Honor the points, count them toward their induction (maybe it was a money issue? Timing issue? etc.) and celebrate your new student's past experiences! (upon verification, of course :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 7.  RE: Thespian Points from other school

Posted 08-30-2017 13:00
    I handle that just like I handle points from community theatre.  I still require students to have points in two capacities from two productions in our school before induction.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC