Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-10-2017 00:43
    I am a first year drama teacher, and this is my first discussion post for ETA! I am teaching three large Stage Craft classes. Our theater has a small shop containing a table saw, drill press, grinder, and various other power tools. How do you teach shop safety in your theater classes? Are there standardized rules, and procedures for working with power tools? How do you assess your students ability to understand the risks of working in the scene shop? What rules do you have in place to keep your students safe? As a brand new teacher (VERY new to the world of tech) I would appreciate any lesson plans, resources, or ideas!

------------------------------
    Natalie Cannon
    Theater Teacher
    Albuquerque NM

• 2.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 07:25
    My first question would be how much experience do you have working in a scene shop? If you do not have have experience with tools do not try to teach your students how to use them without first knowing how yourself. Do you have a friend who can show you? Is there a nice shop teacher at your school? 
    It sounds like your shop is not completely equipped. Along with the table saw, a miter saw forms the nucleus of any shop I have worked in. If you do not have one you may want to look at the Dewalt 10" sliding compound miter saw. This is a very functional piece of equipment. You may also want to look at battery operated drills. Again Dewalt makes a good one. Be sure to get one (or more) with a lithium ion battery. If you have experience with shop equipment, building and safety, I would suggest starting with a show and tell of each tool. Talk about why we use the tool, what it can do, and how it can hurt you. Then show the students proper use. I also have each student then Use the tool (if they want to) under my direct supervision and guidance. With a large class this will be time consuming, but it is very important. I would move through all the tools in the shop. Hand tools can be very dangerous as many of them are high speed, high torque and can get away from a student quickly. Circular saws and grinders would be most dangerous. Every tool can make our work easier, but they can also "take your hand off in a heartbeat if you are not careful, if you don't know what you're doing, or if you lose respect for the tool". At least that's what I tell my students. Good luck!

--
    202-537-6456

• 3.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 07:29
    My first question would be how much experience do you have working in a scene shop? If you do not have have experience with tools do not try to teach your students how to use them without first knowing how yourself. Do you have a friend who can show you? Is there a nice shop teacher at your school?
    It sounds like your shop is not completely equipped. Along with the table saw, a miter saw forms the nucleus of any shop I have worked in. If you do not have one you may want to look at the Dewalt 10" sliding compound miter saw. This is a very functional piece of equipment. You may also want to look at battery operated drills. Again Dewalt makes a good one. Be sure to get one (or more) with a lithium ion battery. If you have experience with shop equipment, building and safety, I would suggest starting with a show and tell of each tool. Talk about why we use the tool, what it can do, and how it can hurt you. Then show the students proper use. I also have each student then Use the tool (if they want to) under my direct supervision and guidance. With a large class this will be time consuming, but it is very important. I would move through all the tools in the shop. Hand tools can be very dangerous as many of them are high speed, high torque and can get away from a student quickly. Circular saws and grinders would be most dangerous. Every tool can make our work easier, but they can also "take your hand off in a heartbeat if you are not careful, if you don't know what you're doing, or if you lose respect for the tool". At least that's what I tell my students. Good luck!

Mark Bishop
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 09:25
    Assuming you have a shop class, check with the shop teacher. There should be power tool guidelines already developed that not only will give you a guide, but will also shield you as much as possible from liability.

--
    Troy Hubbell

Theatre Arts
    Clute Intermediate & Freeport Intermediate
    Brazosport ISD
    Ext. 25209

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states to be the views of Brazosport ISD.

BRAZOSPORT STATEMENT OF NONDISCRIMINATION

It is the policy of Brazosport ISD not to discriminate or engage in harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, or any other legally protected status in its educational and vocational programs, services or activities or matters related to employment as required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Age Discrimination in Employment Act; Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended; and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.  Inquiries regarding the Brazosport ISD nondiscrimination policies in the following areas should be directed to:  Employment, Title IX & Title VI, EEO & ADA (Employees and Public): Jay Whitehead, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Support Services;  Section 504 & ADA (Students): Lorin Furlow, Director of Special Services. Call: 979.730.7000 or Write:  P.O. Drawer Z, Freeport, TX  77542

DECLARACIÓN DE NO DISCRIMINACION DEL DISTRITO ESCOLAR DE BRAZOSPORT

La política del distrito escolar de Brazosport es no discriminar  ni participar en hostigamientos  basados en raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, religión, edad, discapacidad o algún otro aspecto protegido legalmente en sus programas, servicios o actividades educativas y vocacionales, ni en asuntos relacionados con el empleo como es requerido por el Título VI y Título VII de la Ley de Derechos Civiles de 1964 y sus enmiendas; el Título IX de las Enmiendas Educativas de 1972, la Ley de Discriminación en el Empleo por la Edad; la Ley de Americanos con Discapacidades y sus enmiendas y la Sección 504 de la Ley de Rehabilitación de 1973 y sus enmiendas. Para más información sobre las políticas de no discriminación de Brazosport ISD en las siguientes áreas deberán dirigirse a: Empleo, Título IX y Título VI, EEO & ADA (empleados y público): Jay Whitehead, Asistente del Superintendente de Recursos Humanos y Servicios de Apoyo;  EEO & ADA (Empleados y el Público): Sección 504 y ADA (estudiantes): Lorin Furlow, Director de Servicios Especiales. Llame al: 979.730.7000 o escriba a: P.O. Drawer Z, Freeport, TX  77542

• 5.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 11:22
    I concur with what was said above. Focus on the elements of tech that you are currently versed in and try to learn the others as quickly as you can. I'd try the local community college and see if they have a class you can take. You could also volunteer at a local theatre to help with the set and use that as a learning opportunity. 

Don't feel like you need to start in the shop. What other elements of tech, beyond the shop, are you planning on teaching? Can you start with a unit on lighting or sound and move to the shop a little later? You could also start with set design as a pre-cursor to actually going into the shop.

You'll be fine. Just give yourself the time to set yourself for each unit and you'll be good to go. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 14:25
    Check out the safety video Erich Friend posted on the New Semester - Shop Safety! discussion.  I just added one too - not as fun as his to watch!

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Fall Session starts Sept. 11. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "High School Theatre Safety" and several more books on Amazon.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 7.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-11-2017 18:02
    I was trying to avoid chiming in here   :-)    but decided to anyway.

There are two separate and different issues here. One is knowing what the tools are, what they're used for, and how they're used in order to build something. The other one is knowing how to use them safely. You don't want to learn or teach one without the other.

Cutting a piece of wood involves knowing what you want to cut, how big you want to cut it, which way you want the grain to run, and which tool you want to use: a hand saw, a radial arm, a jig saw, a table saw, or whatever. Once you choose the tool, then you have to know how to set it up or get it ready to cut.

But you can still know (and do) all that and not know how to use the tool (or make the cut) safely. And it happens way too often.

The reverse is also true: you can know all about tool safety but still not know how to use them (set them up properly) to do something to a piece of wood.

Granted, from the OP, we don't know how much experience you have yourself. However, I will second the comments above: learn all you can, and get very comfortable with it, before you attempt to teach it. It'll also give you the ability to answer questions properly.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 8.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-12-2017 12:15
    Hello,

I concur with everything people have suggested and would recommend looking at materials from the Power Tool Institute at http://www.powertoolinstitute.com/

They have a wealth of information in regard to safety and tool use. Additionally, look at

the CTE website https://www.cteonline.org/ where you can find lesson plans and
    other support materials.

In regard to all of the skills you may find yourself teaching, make certain that you know what you are talking about and can verify your own training and/or competency. You can't just "wing it".

I have attached some of the training and competency testing materials I use in my classes.

Best Wishes,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 9.  RE: Scene Shop Safety

Posted 08-12-2017 19:05
    Hi there! I was in your boat fairly recently.

If you can, try to get someone to show you the basics of lighting, sound, and power tools hands on. I've been spoiled in that I have a few friends who have professional experience and were willing to tutor me in exchange for adoration and pizza. Are there any sister schools in your district that have a Tech Theater teacher? Maybe you can reach out to them for help? You could also reach out to a Woodshop teacher for power tool stuff. And don't underestimate the value of youtube.

You also say the classes are large? How many students do you have? We cap our classes at 28 for safety reasons. If you have more than that, you may want to insist to your admin that you should have an adult teacher's aid.

I've attached a copy of my syllabus and Safety Policy Contract, which have worked pretty well for me the last two years.

Best of luck!

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

Attachment(s)