Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-24-2017 12:14
    I was wondering how other programs are set up. What classes do you all offer? How are they set up? What is the ratio of those who want to be there and those who don't?

This year, our school offered Drama I (Fundamentals of Theatre), Drama II (Fundamentals of Theatre), and Tech Theatre. This upcoming year, I have asked to offer Acting in addition to these. Beyond that, I am considering a Musical Theatre class as well. What can you tell me about your experience with these classes? 

Finally, also this year, I have four sections of Drama I, which each contains a high percentage of students that do not want to be there. Naturally, I have expressed my feelings that the higher level of theatre classes should contain few to no students who do not want to be there. In your experience, how do you manage classes with high percentages of those who have NO desire to be in theatre classes or even to try. I have attempted to tie it in with tv and movies and that doesn't work either. So, any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Again, I hope this all makes sense and I truly look forward to all of the advice you offer. I certainly appreciate all you've given me thus far! 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jared Wright
    Theatre Teacher
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-24-2017 23:03
    Our classes are broken down as follows:

Theatre I (intro) - approximately 29-35 kids per class
    Theatre II (beg) - approximately 29-35 kids per class
    Theatre III (int) - anywhere from 15-25 kids per class
    BTC (Basha Theatre Company/Adv) - 15-25 kids per class
    Stagecraft (Tech) - 20-35 per class

In AZ the kids have to take a full year of fine arts electives to graduate, so my Theatre I and II classes have high numbers of kids who aren't really passionate about it (although the level II class doesn't have anyone who hates it. They drop the class after the first semester if they can't handle the performance requirements and take a different art course). I get buy-in the first week of Theatre I. We always do 2 hours a week (guaranteed) the first 9 weeks of the class. The kids really enjoy it and they get interested in the idea of the course. I also make a complete "fool" of myself the first day of the class. I spend time talking about the need to really commit to moments and do things that make you feel silly. I also point out that I will make them all feel silly and embarrassed together - that way they can get over the nerves about what other people in the class will think of them. I've found that it really resonates with almost all of the students because I've addressed one of the main elephants in the room. I then proceed to show them what I'm talking about when I say "committing to the moment" and "feeling ridiculous" by throwing a full blown temper tantrum on the ground (yelling, hitting the floor, kicking my feet, true 2 year-old style) for a good minute or two. While they look on in shock (which is an entertainment benefit for me) they start to viscerally understand what I mean by taking chances and really going all out without fear of what others will think of them.  After all, if I can do it (at my age") then it's okay for them to try things that make them feel uncomfortable. 

My specific method may not work for you, but I'd recommend trying to find a way to make it "okay" to try different things in your class. Once you can get past the wall they put up to stay "safe" you'll probably find that most of them start to have fun.

I also do a lot of scripted improv in the intro class. Having the ability to create the scenes seems to work really well in the class. It's used very early (think the first week or two) and allows them to work in groups (I let them choose their groups) and explore storylines that they probably wouldn't be able to in other classes (I can't tell you how many versions of The Godfather I've seen...)

In terms of tying to it tv and movies... can you find dvd versions of productions that use the actors they are familiar with in movies? Or find a way to tie in the fact that someone like Tom Hiddlesmith is a classically trained actor. Right now I've got an extra "leg up" since Emma Stone came from our area. If possible, try to find a similar connection... 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about what I posted... not sure if this made sense... long day...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-24-2017 23:31
    I teach at a private school with a high school population of about 250, so my experience might not exactly be the same. Our students must also have 1 credit of fine arts to graduate, but most of the students you're struggling with end up in art classes mostly because we established early on that theatre classes require quite a bit of hard work. Even when we don't require participation in productions, the students still help build/strike the set, and that alone is enough to get lazier students to shy away. I make it clear what the expectations are from day one. I don't try to scare people out of the class (although I have done that before), but I do make sure they understand what kinds of activities they'll be doing and how much they'll be helping with the productions. You'll still get lazy students, but you might convince the laziest to change classes before they get too far into it. I have actually had to fail someone in a beginning drama course, but once she received her first F in an elective course, she started working harder. Once you get a reputation for being "a real class," you might have fewer sign up for it.

We offer the following courses:

Beginning Drama
    Honors Drama (beginning drama is a prereq and you must get the teacher's recommendation)
    2 sections of Tech Theatre
    Costuming
    Honors Costuming (1 year of costuming is a prereq and you must get the teacher's recommendation)

Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 4.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-25-2017 19:22
    When I started teaching at a private high school last year, there were two sections of Acting 1-3, Musical Theatre, Theatre History, Tech Theatre, and Showcase (a performance class). Because so many students were in the Acting 1-3 that had no real interest in Theatre, I restructured to make a more sequential Acting program. So first year, two sections of Acting 1&2 includes any student either interested in Theatre or just wishing to take a Fine Arts class. I made Acting 1 fun but tough, and most of the students looking for an easy grade dropped. Acting 2 is much more focused, introducing Meisner. Acting 1&2 focuses on American classics. The two sections of Acting 2 will combine into Acting 3 and 4 next year, and I have the option to cut even more students. Acting 3&4 focuses on Strindberg, Ibsen, Chekhov. Juniors and Seniors who have taken Acting 3/4 are then approved into Showcase, from which we cast the spring Styles show (Shakespeare, Moliere thus far). 
    I no longer teach Musical Theatre, and our tech guy handles the tech class. I've replaced Theatre History with a class I created when I taught university: Great Performances on Film, which traces the evolution of Acting methods through 100 years of cinema. I use a text, The Art of Theatre: Then and Now 3rd Edition by William Missouri Downs, Wright, Erik Ramsey for the Acting 1&2 classes. That text has enough Theatre History to get the students on track. 

Kerry Glamsch
    Drama Director
    South Palm Beach FL

• 5.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-26-2017 14:00
    It took a few years to get my class offerings the way I wanted as it had to be done in steps, but it was so worth it!  Here is my current schedule: 

Theatrical Arts I -one semester
    Theatrical Arts I I- one semester
    Intermediate Acting -one year
    Advanced Acting -one year
    Theatre Design & Management  (cte tech)-one year
    Theater  Design & Management I I  (cte tech) - one year.

Both tech levels are in the same class & I design lessons where level II'so manage projects in groups with level I's

To get into Intermediate or Advanced Acting, students have to audition with prepared monologue and I choose who is in each class. It's become quite a big deal for kids to make it advanced. I keep my numbers low for these classes with 15-20 students per class.

The trade off is they can overload the beginning classes with as many students as they want & whoever they want, so those classes can end up with 40-50 students. Because it's offered in semesters, the ones who truly hate usually take a different elective at semester. For beginning classes I set up my grades so 50% of their grade is participation, so all they have to do is participate to pass. There are still those that refuse & I just shrug, give them an FYI & move on. I find that about 90% of those that thought they didn't want to be there, end up really enjoying it by the end of the semester.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 6.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-26-2017 23:54
    Jeanne has hit the nail on the head for a desirable and sequential load. I'm curious how you are able to get a Theatre Design and Management course. I'm being told I have to teach Stagecraft and Theatre Production because our classes are required to align with NCES codes that are outdated. I'd prefer to have Theatre Design and Technology I & II.

---------------------------------
    Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Class Lineup and Offerings

Posted 03-30-2017 02:05
    The theatre design & management course is a two year CTE course.

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ