Open Forum

View Only

End of School Year Thespian Celebration

• 1.  End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-02-2017 09:20
    What do you do at the end of the year to celebrate your season?

We have done lots of different things over the years, and every year we do things a little differently as our officers plan the event. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Do you have a banquet? Performances? Announce next year's season? Awards? (If so, what kind?) Thespian inductions? Formal or informal attire? Decorations? Traditions?

And what does the event typically cost to attend or produce?

------------------------------
    David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 2.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-03-2017 09:00
    We hold a "Theatre Banquet" in May when our season is done (and work around all the various spring happenings at the school). At this school students must pay a $400 "pay to participate" fee to participate in theatre, so banquet is free to everyone (student and family members), as we do a Pot Luck (with each grade being asked to bring certain items). This tradition started over 30 years ago, and we have rarely had any issues. The Theatre Boosters have learned to purchase two large containers of chicken (usually chicken fingers) so there is plenty of meat dishes. We usually get over 200 people in attendance.

The first part of the banquet is the solemn Candle Lite Induction Ceremony (we follow the script from International. It has been modified, to be as concise as possible, without leaving out anything important).  All new Inductees are announced. As they approach the stage, they meet their "sponsor" which is one of the company members who hands them a personally written letter (which are approved ahead of time by the President) welcoming them to the troupe. "Inducting" a new Thespian is a big deal at this school, and we have to have sign ups almost a month in advance, starting with seniors getting first dibs to sponsor an inductee. Rarely does a Sophomore get the honors, but we figure they have a few more years to do this.   After the new members sign the charter, receive their membership items, and all gathered on stage, they are inducted into the troupe. These students do not pay for their induction, that is part of what we raise money for all year.
    Then people are dismissed for food, while a video of the past year in theatre plays (put together by the Troupe Historian).
    Afterwards is the Awards portion of the banquet: where Stars, Honor Bar, Theatre Booster Scholarships, Best Thespian, etc. are handed out. There are Senior Farewell Speeches and the day ends with New Troupe officers being inducted. This takes hours, so we have moved banquet to either Saturday or Sunday afternoon. This banquet ends the theatre season, and is a highlight for most students and parents.

Attire is semi-formal or whatever theme the Thespian Troupe President has decided on. This is usually communicated well in advance, so students can take advantage of Halloween sales. Themes we have had: Nautical, Around the World, Broadway, Hollywood, Greek (for Thespis), Masquerade, Harry Potter, Murder Mystery, 1920's Gatsby, etc. This year the theme is Broadway/Tony Awards. The old and new council decorate the cafetorium to fit the theme the night before.

Hope this information is helpful. I cannot imagine ending the season without this.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 3.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-03-2017 11:27
    We have Drama Awards Banquet at an off-site venue, which was thee place long before I stepped in 17 years ago.  It's a semi-formal affair and the parents are invited too, although they do not sit with their kids.  The kids have their own tables and so do the parents.  Myself and the designer/directors sit at the head table and I prepare the "script" based on the awards to be presented.  The awards vary each year, except for the final awards which are the MVPs.  Most Valuable Actor, Actress and Technician.  We are a school BIG on sports, so I wanted to create something that matched the awards of sports, since actors are the Players.
    We also induct and, although the ceremony is serious, it is less formal than what Valerie described.  I think because we live in San Francisco and there are so many distractions (good or otherwise) for teenagers we don't have as active a Troop as I would like.  They always start out with good intentions of being very active but we are an all-boys school and sometimes they get distracted with other activities.
    Hope this helps!
    I am heading into my last banquet this year, as I have recently announced that I will be stepping down as Drama Director at the end of the year.  I swear, it's going to feel like semi-retirement but I am excited at the prospect of having a classroom for the first time in over 30+ years AND I might get to teach a Shakespeare class.  I also am the coordinator for our ESU Shakespeare competition so I'll get to keep my hand in it at school, while taking a break from the August to April production schedule and finding my way in professional theatre after all these years.
    Cheers,

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 4.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-03-2017 13:04

I teach Middle School, but maybe what we do will help you. 

We do our Thespian Induction event at the end of the year. In the past it has been held in my classroom, in a local community theatre, and most recently in our gym, as we have outgrown other venues and don't have an auditorium.

Family and friends are invited. It's a "dress up" but not formal event. I welcome everyone give a short recap of what we have done during the year, and then go to the induction script that is provided. We present all new members with their pins and cards, then give out stars to existing members. I also give out a special award to an 8th grader who has exemplified the Thespian motto over their middle school years. We end with a performance of Puck's speech, by an 8th grader. (This is a tradition that I totally stole from someone else on these boards, and the kids love it.) We hold auditions a couple of weeks before the ceremony. My first year, I inducted three 8th graders who were good friends, so we split it into three parts and they all performed.

I am toying with the idea of letting my 8th graders take over the planning, but haven't fully convinced myself. :)

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-03-2017 13:05
    I forgot to say the we end the evening with a dessert reception. The department buys a cake and parents bring other items and trimmings. They also set up and clean up after.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-03-2017 16:06

The end of year celebration is very informal. We have a potluck dinner in the school cafeteria that moves to the auditorium for awards and performances. Anyone who had anything to do with the theatre department is invited and this includes, students in my classes, International Thespian Society members, Drama club members, the Improv Troupe, and their parents and siblings. For dinner, students sign up to bring things on a list out side my classroom and I provide the paper goods. 

Awards and performances look like this:

• ITS cords given to seniors, as well as honors, (honor, national, and international thespian) for points earned.  If a senior has earned an induction in order to wear cords for graduation, there is a brief induction for seniors only.  (All others are formally inducted in the fall.)
    • Each class period performs something that they learned during the school year - examples: an improv game from Theatre 1, a scene from Theatre 2 and a number from Musical Theatre class
    • Improv Troupe performs 2-3 games
    • Superlatives are awarded (voted on by the drama club)
    • Seniors perform a parody of their last 4 years and act out all of the shows they were in in 3 minutes or less
    • Slide show/movie presented; made by a student with pictures from the past year
    • Drama club leaders announced for the next year.
    The night ends with some words from me as their teacher and/or director when I recognize:
    • recognize and thank my student aids,
    • those students who have taken a class with me all four years of high school
    • an unsung hero award (for a student who is not a lead and sometimes unrecognized by his or her peers, but has looked for ways to be helpful and embodies the team spirit of a thespian and works for the good of the ensemble, etc.) 
    • parents who have helped out.

The last thing I do is to announce the fall play. Note: this announcement is always done differently - one year I made them play hang man to guess, one year I had a PowerPoint with clues, and then sometimes I just announce it.

My goal for the evening is to celebrate everyone's accomplishments, honor the seniors, thank parents and lay the ground work for the next year.  It's a lot to tackle in one evening so that is why the dinner is potluck and relaxed.  There is no rehearsal - just fun.

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 7.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-04-2017 13:17
    David, We have a big celebration at the end of the year.  It is a dress up affair, where we have a banquet, a red carpet for people to take pictures, a slide show of the previous years shows, a variety of awards (I have 6 to 8 theatre professionals come in and view all of our show, then as a group they collectively choose the awardees), and finally we have inductions at the end of the ceremony part.

We do not charge people to attend.  It is mainly coordinated by my parent group and we spend around $150 to $200 on the event, not counting the awards.

Everyone really enjoys the event as it is the last time before summer break that people have a chance to get together and reminisce.  Plus the students really like to get fancy for the evening.

Stewart Hawk
    Garfield Theatre Department Chair
    Washington State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    206-252-2408
    sthawk@seattleschools.org
    http://www.garfieldstage.org/
    http://washingtonstatethespians.com/

• 8.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-04-2017 14:09
    Hello,
    I love out end-of-the year celebration.
    We do an awards banquet off-site.  We've established a relationship with a local country club (really fancy, I know), and they do a great plated meal for us (usually chicken parm and a veg. option as well as a salad and a simple dessert spread).
    We charge $25/person, but our drama boosters fund raises to pay for our senior students to go for free.  
    the night starts with the dinner, then we watch the Senior video (The Drama IV class puts together this satirical look at the year).  We then do the official Thespian inductions.  Then we watch the drama slideshow (the Thespian and Drama Club officers put this together).  
    At that point we do department awards: best actor(2), best supporting actor (2), most valuable crew member (2), rising star award, and we'll give the "money, money, bang, bang, dollar dollar bills award" (a gag award for the most surprising performance).  We'll also do 3-5 superlatives from our One Act Festival which is earlier that week.  The seniors then do "senior moments" where they share their favorite theatre-related memory.  
    Then I announce the season for next year.  
    Then, we DANCE!  
    The attire is more formal for seniors (many re-wear their prom gown) and semi-formal for underclassmen.  
    It's a great event, and we have parents come (they don't usually sit with their kids), admin often comes, and we throw a pretty fantastic, dignified, and fun celebration of all the great work the theatre students do throughout the year!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 9.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-05-2017 14:57
      |   view attached

We do a banquet at the end of the year.  It is planned by Theatre Leadership students, so the theme is different depending on what they come up with.  Last year, we did a red carpet theme. Everyone was asked to dress up (a lot of the kids wore their prom attire). The evening started in our auditorium lobby with a photo booth (complete with giant blow up Oscar-type award!) and cake, then we move in to the auditorium for awards (we do a lot of silly awards like "most likely to lose their script" and serious ones like "outstanding actor in a main stage play").

After the voted awards, we explain what Thespians is, and recognize all Thespians, past and present, with a simple "please stand if you are an inducted Thespian."  It's pretty cool for the kids to see which parents have been inducted.  Then we recognize the outgoing officers, thanking them for their service, and announce the new officers.

Next, we do the rank awards - Honor, National Honor, International Honor, as well as the scholar awards.

Then we do inductions, and recognize our seniors.  We end with the final bow, which is for all students who are not returning (mostly seniors, but occasionally we have a student who knows they are moving).

I've attached the script we use, if anyone is interested.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

Attachment(s)

docx
    Banquet Scripts.docx   16 KB 1 version

• 10.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-05-2017 19:31
    When I took over the drama department, I inherited the tradition of an end of year banquet with a theme chosen by the Thespian officers.  Everyone who worked on a show was invited to attend along with parents.  Department awards, including Drama letters, senior cords and Best Thespian, were presented.  Since I scrapbooked, the department scrapbook was presented then.  My favorite banquet was the year that the theme was Disney characters.  Almost everyone, including parents, came in costume, and the princesses were a big hit with the Olive Garden's patrons!  Kids kept crashing the banquet to hug their favorite princess!

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 11.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-06-2017 08:21
    We do an end of the year banquet. It's semi-formal and potluck (I usually buy a couple sandwich platters and a cake).

We start with Thespian Induction. We use the ITS script (modified a little) and each mentor gives them their induction materials and such. I then announce which current Thespians have reached stars/honor/national/international. Then I do a slide show of pictures from the year. We dismiss for food for about 45 minutes. After everyone has eaten (or has a least gotten food), we reconvene. I announce the main awards (lead actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, top techie, best in show one act, actor/actress in a student directed, outstanding ensemble member, outstanding freshman/sophomore/junior/senior, top thespian) plus our "paper awards" (tech newcomer, acting newcomer, honorable mentions). Then we allow senior wills (a tradition in my troupe for seniors to will down gifts/traditions to younger students). I then allow my president to give an award to someone who has done an outstanding job (their choice of student) and we recognize our Thespians of the Month from the year. Next is senior superlatives. Announcement of next year's board members. My director's awards (I usually pick 2 students). And finally is our announcement for next season's shows. Then my troupe likes to take "family tree" photos (who inducted who).

It's about 2 - 2 1/2 hours total. It's a great time. I'd be happy to send you my actual order of events from last year if you'd like.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 12.  RE: End of School Year Thespian Celebration

Posted 12-05-2017 16:06
    Our end of the year is fairly informal. The kids dress in semi-formal attire and we have an evening that includes season announcement for the following year, inductions, senior graduation honors and awards. This all occurs in the auditorium and is free and open to the public. Most of the ceremony is handled by the outgoing ITS president (who must be a senior to have this position) and the current ITS vice-president and includes the actual inductions, the presentation of awards (I'll go into detail on those in a bit), the season announcement (which is handed to and read by the outgoing president onstage) and I handle the graduation honors. All the seniors who have earned honors are individually, and as a group, honored and then we finish the evening with all of the graduating seniors recognized onstage.

The awards are chosen by the president and vice-president (and they are not allowed to choose themselves). We have:

M.V.P.
    Most Improved (both male and female)
    Tech Award
    Most Dedicated (both male and female)
    Up-and-Coming (this is only available to underclassmen)
    Bear Cubs (one student from each class - our mascot is a bear)

The following 2 awards are not chosen by students:
    Veteran (this goes to someone who is has been involved all 4 years) 
    Grandma Schwartz - this is a unique award to our school. It is an originally designed teddy bear that is given to the graduating senior who is the best example of what being a thespian is. 

- both of these awards are individualized to the kids receiving them. The Veteran Award usually has both something that the kid is fond of and something to help when (s)he is in college. The Grandma Schwartz Award somehow connects to the production that was the "biggest" for that student. For example, last year's recipient's (who was Fantine in our production of Les Miz) bear was dressed in a replica of the nightgown she died in, had a braid made out of the saved hair from the wig we cut and had a locket. I also fabricated a mini mic pack and headset because when she wasn't onstage you could usually find her in the sound booth.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ